J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I tried searching for this topic, but dial-up doesn't exactly help and neither does a few hundred search results. Anyways, what octane level does everyone put in their cars? 87, 89, 93, or 94? I've been using 89 here lately and it seems to be doing pretty good. Any comments or thoughts?

·
Premium Member
11,738 Posts
Its actually made to run on 87, I use 89 just cause my car seems to run smoother. Maybe because of the 4 million miles I have on it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
On the Cavalier and the 6000, straight 87, never an issue.

My old SCX required a minimum of 92, or else it would ping like change loose in the dryer. Got expensive, yes, but how many other 190 HP I4s can get 30+ MPG? :)

I stick with mid-grade (88-89) on the Fiero. The compression isn't any higher in it's V6 than the Cavalier's or the 6K's, but due to the mid-engine setup, cylinder temperatures are a lot higher, and better gas isn't going to hurt that at all.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
i just get cheap gas. while i was pumping gas yesterday, the price went up 10 cents! all the gas works the same for me, and as many miles as i put on my car, im going to get the cheaper gas.

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
my car runs better on 87 than any other grade

·
Banned
7,153 Posts
soup said:
my car runs better on 87 than any other grade
Same here! I put 89 in once and it was terrible.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
z24_ss said:
whitelightning2 said:
110 in the T/A :pimp:
Rocket Fuel :lol:
:lol:
I can get 114 too but it runs really strange with anything higher than 110, anything lower than 93 and it has a hard time starting and dosen't like to idle. :p :lol:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
turbobird said:
There's no need to run anything higher than you need to... The higher the octane is only good in combatting premature detonation, etc...

I run 89.
It also make the car run cleaner :wink:

I use Sunoco 94. When I started using it, it was like a whole new car. I got better gas mileage, and it seemed to be more responsive and pull better in the upper rpm range.
Doing the math, it costs me a little LESS to run 94 that 87. I fill up less often now. I mean it only costs $5 more to fill the tank, a lot cheaper than having to clean out my injectors all the time.

G

·
I now put 93 in the z because I only fill it every so often because I only drive it 2-3 times a week. I go w/ 89 in the '03 and it seems to run better w/ it. I used to put 87 in the z but it felt EVEN more like a slug so no more of that sh!t.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.