J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first GM car since my 1977 Pontiac Astre. It's a 93 Cav RS Sedan, 3.1, 3 spd auto, 111k miles. This thing hauls and I got it from the original owner! It only has two problems, the AC doesn't work (no big deal) and it has a pretty substantial oil leak.

The oil leak appears to be coming from a round cover on top of the block under the throttle body. It looks like a distributor block-off plate. (I assume the 2.8 had a distributor there). Is this common or does anyone know what to do? Is there a gasket that is leaking that I should replace? The guy I bought it from said he would put in a half quart of oil every fill-up.

Thanks for any help. I look forward to being active on this board.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Yes, this is a VERY common place for an oil leak on the 3.1. You are correct as to its function. There was a distributer there at one time. Now it is the oil pump drive, and the 0-ring commonly goes bad. Just replace the o-ring and the problem should be solved

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jason, thanks for the reply. How bad is this to do? Is the o-ring under the cover (once I get the TB out of the way) or do I have to remove the oil pump shaft?

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
I havn't had to deal with this myself, so I can't tell you offhand what kind of a job it is. I assume the o-ring is right on top, but I can't gaurantee that. I wouldn't think it woud be that hard to replace.

·
Registered
10 Posts
West,

I'm about to tackle the same repair on my 94 cavalier. I was told this is a common problem on these engines once they go over 100k miles, I'm about to hit 130k and leaking like hell. Supposedly there is an o-ring under the plate and the throttle body does have to come off, might be a good time to read the section in "mods" on how to clean it. Re-post when you're done in case you get to it before I do.

Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts