J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to repair a pin hole in my oil pan to get a little more time out of it? I'm almost ready for the 3400 swap and hate like hell to buy a new pan for like a months worth of driving...any suggestions>?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
ilmoakw said:
Is there any way to repair a pin hole in my oil pan to get a little more time out of it? I'm almost ready for the 3400 swap and hate like hell to buy a new pan for like a months worth of driving...any suggestions>?
braze it.... or if worst case.. JB weld.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
clean it up good scuff with 80 or 40 grit sandpaper and put a bit of jb weld it'll hold for a good long time!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hpjunkie said:
clean it up good scuff with 80 or 40 grit sandpaper and put a bit of jb weld it'll hold for a good long time!
Do ya think that jb weld will handle the heat? I was thinking of removing the oil pan, cleaning it inside and out with brake cleaner and repairing (or patching) the hole on both sides...

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
ilmoakw said:
hpjunkie said:
Do ya think that jb weld will handle the heat? I was thinking of removing the oil pan, cleaning it inside and out with brake cleaner and repairing (or patching) the hole on both sides...
If there's a pin hole, there is a larger hole just waiting to happen.

If your swap is only a month or two off, I would get some JB Weld or JB quick, and smear it all over that area, trying to get as much coverage as possible. You might also find a better product in the same isle you find the JB Weld/Quick in.

If your swap won't be happening for a few more months, like 6+, then I would either get a new pan or a solid used one and swap it in place, like I siad the pin hole is only the start of a much larger hole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.