J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has already been discussed here before, but I don't think my problem is the sending unit like Moon replied lower. First, I have a 1992 Cavalier RS (automatic) and when I've been using the car for some time (at least 1 hour) the oil pressure indicator STALLS between 0 and the first quarter of the graduations even when rolling at 100 km/h (2200 RPM). If I stop and rev it up, the indicator doesn't move ! Normally when the car idles with engine running cold, the oil pressure indicator is just a little higher than half (max is 550 on mine) and when I rev it up, the pressure rises a bit. This is why I think it's not my sending unit that is damaged because when the engine is cold, the indicator would be low too, no ? I thought maybe it would be that O-ring in the pump (never changed it), or the pump itself. Anyone had this prob and got it fixed ??? Oh, btw no red light (CHECK GAGES) comes out.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Not necessarily. When my sender went bad, it read fine until the engine got warmed up, then it went wacko. Think it is the heat that gets to it?

I would still check the sender before anything else

·
Registered
24 Posts
My sender went bad and would spike comming to a stop a couple of times then read low. I changed it and my oil and the pressure seems fine now. But my pressure would rise as the revs rose, so I don't know about that. Change your oil to a 10w30 or 15w40 if you don't use that, and if it still dosen't respond, put a product like Motor Honey or Hitach in it. If it responds to that, its a motor pressure problem, and hope it holds in for a while.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.