J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a '90 z24, and I've noticed that the oil pressure goes to almost red when I first turn on my car, and it takes a few minutes of running to get it down to the point where I could floor it if I wanted to. If I floor it right off the bat (like, say, in the first 30 seconds to minute or so), the oil pressure will go to red, and the check engine light will go on, but goes off a minute or so later (I've only been dumb enough to let this happen twice...the first time I didn't realize that's why it happened). After I've been driving for a couple minutes at normal speeds, the pressure goes down to about 3/4, and a few minutes later at highway speeds and the pressure is down to 1/2. Could this be because my car has been sitting out in the sun, or is there some other problem?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had that once except it pinned the needle. 8 times out of 10 its the oil pressure guage. there cheap and no that hard to do. hope that helps

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
i change my sending unit it cost me 19 dollars at napa

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
i tryed that with mine and it still went crazy

·
Registered
366 Posts
well hey since we are on this subject, i also have a question about oil pressure. When my car first starts everything is fine, but after it runs for maybe 10 minutes, anytime i idle the pressure goes to damn near 0, and my car idle's pretty rough.. I dont know what this could be, maybe the oil pump? but it doesnt do it everytime, sometimes it will run for 30 to 45 min w/o doing it but sometimes it will do it after running for 10, anyone know????

Thanks..

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
it might be a vacuum leak my did last week it ran rough until i found it
try that to

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
The sending unit cost me $50cnd. Had to get a new one because I broke it off when I took off the starter :(
It can be difficult to get off, since you need a special socket, OR you can use pliers which wont make it any easier.
High oilpressure can also be caused by a filter that is fairly full.

-John

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
When the engine is cold, no matter what the oil pressure will be very high... this is NORMAL :) as the engine warms up the levels will drop to about the 1/4 mark or so... the check engine light also comes on for a moment when you start the car, thats just a systems/bulb check.

-Al.

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
jakerooni said:
dutch~inc said:
Anybody know what happens when there is like, 1 or more quarts of oil EXTRA in the pan?
We would call this a bad thing.
that pretty much sums it up...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The guys at Mr.Lube over filled mine... I noticed the problem because the oil pressure was too high.. so I bought a syphon/pump and stuck the hose down my dip stick hole and sucked out a little more than a quart. Kept my eye on it and topped it up as needed.

that syphon/pump thing is cool man.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Rule of thumb from the many teaching I've had is it's better to have to little oil than to much. You can spin the bearings if there's to much in there

1 - 18 of 18 Posts