J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 88 Z24 convertible. I owned one in high school and found one in great shape and jumped on it. It has 141K and has the digital dash. The oil pressure goes all the way up while driving and drops to half at idle. Is this normal? I don't remember my old one doing that but that was almost 20 years ago. Any input would be appreciate. Also does anyone know if the digital gauges can be easily swapped out with the analog ones?

·
Premium Member
1988 Z24 Coupe 5spd, 1988 Wagon w/94 Auto Drivetrain, 1992 Z24 Convertible Auto, 1994 Z24 Coupe 5spd
2,650 Posts
It has 141K and has the digital dash. The oil pressure goes all the way up while driving and drops to half at idle. Is this normal? I don't remember my old one doing that but that was almost 20 years ago. Any input would be appreciate. Also does anyone know if the digital gauges can be easily swapped out with the analog ones?
That is high on both ends. Probably not the actual oil pressure (if the engine is at operating temperature). Book says 14psi at 1,100 rpm.
My 'guess' would be the reading is faulty. The car is 20 years older than the last one you had. Time does it's work too. So it could be a problem with the gauge reading too high.
You can test it yourself by removing the sending unit and attaching an oil pressure gauge in place of it. The engine needs to be up to operating temperature for the test. You can then read the true pressure and know for sure where you are at. If it really is that high (like 30 at idle and 65+ at 2,500, I would be a little concerned that there may be a restriction somewhere in the oiling system.

Does the gauge read 0 with engine off and key on?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts