J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so everyone u kno those reverse lights that u can buy that light up blue!!!.....where do u buy those?? what is the brand...send me a link send me SOMETHIN :(

·
Registered
258 Posts
klutchewsky said:
ok so everyone u kno those reverse lights that u can buy that light up blue!!!.....where do u buy those?? what is the brand...send me a link send me SOMETHIN :(
Figure out what bulb number it is...
Go to SuperBrightLEDs.com...
Order some blue LED bulbs...
And then replace your stockers.

But before you do this check your local traffic laws and violations to make sure that you don't receive any tickets. I know NY cops love to pull people over for just about anything they can...

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Uh... LED? One LED = 680ohm resistor about... or 5 LEDs in series with a 82ohm resistor about..
Like +----|>|----|>|----|>|----|>|----|>|---/\/\/----+

Or search for a blue 889 bulb

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
klutchewsky said:
woah woah woah explain lol...
Btw, this would be the harder one of all the options you have. But...

You could mount a little board with blue LED's in it in the stock hole kinda shaped like this if you are looking straight at it:

Code:
|-----O---O---O------|
|-------O---O--------|
|---------O----------|
|--------------------|
That'd be 9 LEDs. Say you got 12,000mcd ones. Each at 3V 20mA. Total of 27v, which is clearly too much. You need about 13-14v total. This is where we use a resistor.

So say you wire in parallel: You'd need a 68ohm resistor.

Say you wire in series/parallel: You'd have three parallel "lines" with a single resistor and three LED's in series. And the resistors would be 270ohm

This is getting confusing, I'll get you on AIM or MSN or something.

I'd wire this up right now, cause I have the parts, but my breadboard hasn't came in yet :roll: And I don't feel like making an ugly circuit.

Quick glossary:

LED: Light Emitting Diode
Resistor: Provides resistance on the circuit
MCD: Millicandela
Parallel: + to all +, and - to all -
Series: Wired as + to - to + to - and repeat as necessary

Should sum it up...

But like I said, this will be the most work.. But also will be the most customizable.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im not to worried...I got tail light covers so if there gunna pull me over ill get busted for everything so meh....

but ill check part source tomorrow or canadian tire

·
Registered
258 Posts
Aphytex said:
Yes sir. It did lol

This is pretty good. Pretty descriptive but I have a few other questions. How do you know what size resistors to use or like, how many volts the LED's require...

Any links on getting fully technical with the electronics of all of this?

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
joelallenclear said:
Aphytex said:
Yes sir. It did lol

This is pretty good. Pretty descriptive but I have a few other questions. How do you know what size resistors to use or like, how many volts the LED's require...
Yes sir... A very simple equation called, "Ohm's Law" Look it up...

The basics of it when using it for LED resistance is something like:

R=(VS-VL)/I

R = Resistance
VS = Supply Voltage
VL = Diode Voltage
I = Current

Ex.

You want to put a LED in your vents... It's about 3V, 20mA (Read specs on specific LED for correct voltage and current). But your vehicle is putting out about 12-14 (I use 14 to be safe).

So it ends like this:
R = Resistance = ?????Ohm
VS = Supply Voltage = 14V
VL = Diode Voltage = 3V
I = Current = 30mA (0.03A)

We need to solve for R. So here we go...

R=(VS-VL)/I
R=(14-3)/.03
R=(11)/.03
R=367 (Which 390 would be the next greater value)

If my calculations are wrong, let me know. It's late :D

Hope you learned something man... Hit me up on AIM (Morkeste) or MSN ([email protected]) if you need help with anything

Oh, by the way... I made that one I was talking about up there just now.... 9 LEDs in series/parallel type formation.

Like this:

Here's a couple pictures... I used pots (variable resistors) because I think they are fun and I can dim a set of three at a time with each one (TBH, I just didnt have 270ohm resistors :lol: )

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I know that I don't know alot about it...

And yep.. Very rigged... But like I said, breadboard didnt come in... Didnt have any other boards, and didnt feel like drilling a pice of plastic out like i did before.

Witht hat one, I just twisted it all together and taped it up... I made that like like 20 min.

And I didnt wanna waste LED's or anything...

If you want me to make a good looking one I can... I didn't know it was supposed to look good. Was I planning on using it? No. Was I planning on selling it? No. I was planning on throwing something together quick for fun... That's it... :p

But yeah, it sure is rigged... It's already back apart now and sorted out again

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
Aphytex said:
Is this less rigged Mr. Mighty?

Mr Mighty? :lol: I was wiring up simple circuits like that in 3rd grade :lol:

Some of my techs were in my office at work while i was browsing this topic, they all had a chuckle.

in the breadboard looks MUCH better. I wouldn't have given you a hard time if you had layed it out in a project board, but all wrapped up in electrical tape with pots hanging out is pretty rigged.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Sweet an office room chuckle
Yay! Bet it makes you feel all warm inside...

Like I said before, had no boards or anything to play with... So I threw this together. It was quick, useless and temporary (like 10 minute temporary). It worked.. And that's pretty much it.

Would you like to hear from me that you are better? Or do you hear it from yourself enough?

Anyways... Thanks for the somewhat compliment of it ooking better... But it's all apart again and started something else. I hardly make things and let them be for more than an hour or so... Except that robot... Which destroyed itself after some bigger rims :lol:

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
you really need to learn how to take criticism :lol:

Anyways, If you are serious about learning this stuff you should invest in the schooling. You'll find alot more fun things to do then play with LED's.. and even more fun things you can do with LED's. :wink:

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I'm just a tempermental person :p (Btw, criticism isnt standing around with buddies laughing)

I was planning on school, but I may be moving... But if I move I might try to find a good tech school and work at lowes still part time or whatever.

And I do more than mess with LED's.. I have all kinds of goofy stuff around... Just simple LED circuits are my favorite... I'm working on KITT style led scanners for inside my vents eventually. And also working on building a llittle "clapping monkey" type thing with little spring loaded hinge things I found in that old junk I got from that guy... Sure I don't know advanced stuff... But I know these little things and I enjoy them

But yeah... This is definately a career choice for me

Like... I don't know anyone that knows anything about electronics in person.. I've just been teaching myself random crap by taking stuff apart and rebuilding and seeing what changes and what I can make work different etc...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
props to you Aphytex wireing is so dam frusterating for me i just get someone else to do it!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Huh... that "breadboard" just confused the shit outta me lol

Props Aphytex for wanting to learn this stuff on your own and teaching yourself it. Not many people can or even are willing to do that anymore.

Any links you can recommend to help me with learning this stuff myself? I'd rather not have to ask you everytime I wanna know something. lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.