J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new-to-me car yesterday, a 2004 Ford Mustang.

I've wanted a Mustang since I knew what they were back when. This has the 3.8 liter V6, rear wheel drive, traction control, A/C, keyless entry, security alarm and the like. It has 67,000 miles.

The story of it is that the Carfax says it is from Texas and then went to Arizona and then Arkansas. This means it has never seen a Maine winter! I had them put it up on a lift and inspected the underside. The fuel, brake and other lines looked like new!! No road salt has ever touched anything.

The best part, it spent 7 years as a dealer owned transportation fleet vehicle for a sales agent so it got routine maintenance done.

I am so happy with this car, I went to the bank and got a loan as I partially needed financing. It won't be long before it is paid off however.

Some downside stuff is that because of the hot Texas sun it has a little oxidizing on the front and rear bumpers as well as the rear spoiler. The clear coat is peeling on the rear spoiler. Not a huge deal really, just respray it or buy another one.

I ordered two new tail lights that are the stock versions, these look hideous to me. You must have the 3 vertical bars on the tail lights in my opinion.

Attachments

· Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I ordered a few things for this car this past week which include graphics like the Mustang rocker stripe, rear bumper colored letters decals, a new rear trunk lid spoiler as this one is clear coat damaged and was actually cheaper than having it resprayed.

I replaced the tail lights with OEM stock tail lights.

I also have a Pypes dual exhaust conversion Cat Back kit in the trunk and will do that when I have time this week.

I also ordered one center cap as mine was damaged by a previous owner who thought it was okay to smash the center cap on with a mallet.

I also ordered new head lights as these are slightly worn and have a couple of scratches I don't feel like buffing out.

I also ordered personalized plates that say RECORDS since I collect vinyl records as a life long hobby.

I have more to do to it but that is a start.

Future things added will be a small shorter antenna, seat covers and floor mats with the red white and blue pony logos.

Attachments

· Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I added a cold air intake, go faster stripes, white lettering in the back where the recessed lettering was already, new headlights and floor mats.

I also added the dual exhaust conversion, not the full muscle tone I was hoping for but has a sports car mix with muscle. I like it.

I might go with Magnaflow Flowmasters, haven't decided. The dual exhaust isn't pictured, the single was still on it when the rear view photo was taken.

This is a fun car however and has some giddyup.

Attachments

· Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
autotech1117 said:
Looking good. Oem tails are way better yhan those euros were.
Thank you! American Muscle had the set for $70 a pair, I'm happy with how they look. I'm also very happy with the exhaust, I got to try that out yesterday.

It is nice to be able to buy tail lights, I always worry with the Z24 about damaged tail lights from someone backing into it or something and not finding replacements.

· Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've added many replacement parts for the exterior and interior from door panel inserts to exterior body trim.

I'm so happy with this car.

I added a new lens for the gauge cluster as well as door inserts. I added a chin spoiler and a new grill. I replaced some rubber molding as well which was also easy on this car.

These cars are easy to work on thus far.

Replaced the coil pack with a high performance one with new high performance plug wires and NGK Iridium platinum spark plugs. I'm glad I changed the plugs as 4 of the plugs came out gapping at .070 instead of .056 which were pretty worn.

Cleaned the engine as well as cutting the paint with a good Meguiar's cutting compund using my electric polisher.

It took most of the paint wear out especially the gas cap scratches from the cap dangling when gassing up.

Did a paint repair on the driver side handle as well.

Attachments

· Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And to go with the above post this is how the dual exhaust came out, sounds great. I added the tips which are stainless steel.

Attachments

· Registered
33 Posts
Great car and nice job on what you've done! Looks really clean and your mods def improve the looks! This gen of Mustang I think is a good value these days, considered some verts in the past. Have to say non-verts seem easier to maintain!

I moved on from my Cavalier too, and its so nice to have something to work on thats sort of at the next level - loved my Z but the car I have now is just much cleaner overall.

· Registered
650 Posts
Its fun to have a car that you can upgrade it so easily.. no more going to the junkyard and paying heafty prices or getting ripped off by personal sales..

I hated seeing the word discontinued everytime I was shopping for parts for my cavaliers. it was so annoying.. now you look for parts for your mustangs and your like drooling all over the magazine!!! lol

I know the feeling Megatrends. it's so awesome

I haven't been around but me and my girl have bought an old house with a 3 car garage this fall.. I have bought myself a 2012 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4X4 to replace the 2014 Ford Focus ST for the winter months.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.