J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1988 Z24 Coupe 5spd, 1988 Wagon w/94 Auto Drivetrain, 1992 Z24 Convertible Auto, 1994 Z24 Coupe 5spd
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some new ACDelco park brake cables for the right and left rear. I'm not liking them. Has anyone used these new ones before?
They are not the same build quality of the originals. They didn't come with rubber washers. Not the exact same length either. I'm not sure they will fit well or most importantly work correctly.
I've got to start getting some of these off of salvage cars. Likely be able to get some low use ones off automatic cars. Most straight driver owner probably did cycle their park brake quite regularly. I always do, even in the automatics.
I'm only replacing them because the eyelet was broken on one of the 94's. You can see in the Brake End picture.

Right side is on top.
Tire Automotive tire Tread Rim Synthetic rubber

Brake Ends
Automotive tire Nickel Bicycle part Wood Auto part

Joint Ends
Office supplies Writing instrument accessory Writing implement Auto part Metal

I'm not sure I want to keep these. I should have at least 1 set off the wagon,,, somewhere,,, maybe.
What are your opinions of these new cables?

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
All you can do is try them. I'm wondering if the difference in cable length can be made up with the spur adjuster?
The problem with e brake cables, if they have been sitting and have not been used much, they can seize up.

·
Premium Member
1988 Z24 Coupe 5spd, 1988 Wagon w/94 Auto Drivetrain, 1992 Z24 Convertible Auto, 1994 Z24 Coupe 5spd
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I returned the ones above. Found NOS ones and they came today. But yes, I think they probably would have worked fine. Fairly sure they would have adjusted out. They just looked cheap to me (normal China stuff). The NOS ones shown below are much nearer to the originals. They are not 100% like the originals, but are the correct length. I checked them but the old ones won't stay straightened out for a picture. They didn't come with the rubber washers either. No biggie though, since the right size should be in most hardware stores. Anyway, I'm happy with these. They cost three times as much, but certainly are nicer made. These were not rolled up in a box like the ACDelco ones above were. Straightening out the old ones over the news ones matches up exactly.

I know what you mean about sticking cables. I've bought old cars where I felt lots of drag in the park brake. Doubt they were hardly (if ever) used. Cable Ease works good to free them up. You have to take the cables off though. Hang them straight down so the cable ease can flow in. It is pretty slow flowing. Work the cable in and out once in a while as you add more Cable Ease. It works excellent on speedo cables too. Good stuff. Ace Hardware stores normally has it.
Wood Twig Automotive tire Metal Composite material

·
Premium Member
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I couldn't find any rubber washers that were even close to the correct size. However, I picked up a 1/2" ID Neoprene grommet. Carefully sliced it in two. Trimmed the excess edges to make them flat. Slid them onto the cables with the flat side towards the plate. Pushed the cables in until they fully locked. No idea how long they'll last, but they fit nice.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
221 Posts
Looks great Butch. I always read and enjoy your detailed posts. Currently I'm also looking for new e-brake cables for my rear disc conversion, which is well under way. According to most posts on the conversion, the stock cables will fit into the Chrysler/Dodge caliper backing plates. Not so on mine. The cable length seems to be fine but the housing/conduit length is about 2 inches short. The housing fits between the fixed holes ( bracket on axle, and hole on caliper bracket), but of course the cable can bend within that dimension. Mine are just shy in length. Fortunately Raybestos cables on Rock Auto list the lengths of the cables so I hopefully can find the proper ones.

·
Premium Member
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you and sorry for the delay in my reply. I've been very busy the last few weeks.
Raybestos is good stuff and them listing lengths of their cables is very helpful. All manufactures should do the same. Sure would make life easier for us, trying to get the right stuff for our projects.
Good luck on your brake upgrade.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts