J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went and picked up my Z28 from the garage today, had the brakes done, and my power steering fixed(things a pig to turn without it :lol: ) get there and look at my car, its covered in dirt and mud on the right side, and a little bit of mud on the left, and the tred on my back tires is significantly lower. I asked the mech(my dads friend fortunately for him)if he drove my car, he tells me he just took it down the street to test it out....BULLSHIT! He was doing donuts with it, and to boot, some asshole in the parking lot dinged my door! Anyone else ever have issues like this? All I keep picturing is the scene from ferris bueller...erg

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
omg he has no fuckin right that's never happened to me before but if someone did that with my capri i'd fuckin loose it sue the bastard for repairs donughts can do so much dammage to a car it's not funny i hope it's not all twisted to shit friend of mine used to spin donughts all the time and ya could tell all the flat pannels were warped beyond repair and the car didn't sit level or drive straight WTF do people think that they can take someone elses car and rip the shit out of it friend or not obviously he's not that good of a friend!!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
thats where having a chip burner comes in handy :)

burn yourself a valet chip that has a rev limiter of 2200rpm :pimp:

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
barrok69 said:

:lol: That'd be kinda cool.

Are you sure it wasn't like that before you took it there... Cause not many people look at their car before taking it somewhere, but many look at it afterwards. And if you are looking for things to catch him for, you might find something that was there before, but you never really noticed.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
barrok69 said:

That is a cool idea!! but ummmm don't think it'll work on a carburated car, correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure 1980 Z28 350 is carb not injected but instead of a chip maby just a removable stopper that locks on the throtel linkage some how!!

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
hpjunkie said:
barrok69 said:

That is a cool idea!! but ummmm don't think it'll work on a carburated car, correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure 1980 Z28 350 is carb not injected but instead of a chip maby just a removable stopper that locks on the throtel linkage some how!!
yeah for carbed non computer cars.... restrictor plates :D

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
There was a garage where they done the same thing to a friends car. It wasn't a camaro but it was an rx8. He had all the brakes and rotors done and when he went to pick it up he showed up about 30 minutes early and he saw the guy spinning out in his car!!!! Travis jumped out of his gf's car and ran over and started screaming at the mech and he said that the reason he was doing that was because you had to break-it-in. :lol: When it got to where he had to pay the guy the money Travis only gave him half and said the rest was to his brand new tires. :lol: Then Travis just turned and walked out. When I take my car to a garage I usually stay there and watch them so I know they put every bolt back in and everything.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
blackwidowz24 said:
There was a garage where they done the same thing to a friends car. It wasn't a camaro but it was an rx8. He had all the brakes and rotors done and when he went to pick it up he showed up about 30 minutes early and he saw the guy spinning out in his car!!!! Travis jumped out of his gf's car and ran over and started screaming at the mech and he said that the reason he was doing that was because you had to break-it-in. :lol: When it got to where he had to pay the guy the money Travis only gave him half and said the rest was to his brand new tires. :lol: Then Travis just turned and walked out. When I take my car to a garage I usually stay there and watch them so I know they put every bolt back in and everything.
yeah I usually stay and watch if I ever have any work done. Nowadays I typically do everything myself, other than specialized procedures where I don't have the tools or machines to do them with.

Can't trust anybody anymore....

·
Registered
908 Posts
Sort of makes you want to go to his house, take his personal car, and do burnouts in the front of his house. See how he likes it. OR,bang his wife, but only if she's good looking.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
blackwidowz24 said:
When I take my car to a garage I usually stay there and watch them so I know they put every bolt back in and everything.
When im working on a vehicle,and i notice the customer is watching me like a hawk.
I step away from the car and pull in another vehicle(one which the customer isnt there)and work on it,till that customer goes into the waiting room,were they should be.

I respect people's vehicle's and belonging's, i dont need customer's breathing down my neck,i got service writers and service manager's to do that.lol

·
Registered
440 Posts
no disrespect guys but to me if a mechanic walks away and stops working on my vehicle I'm immediately going to think something is up or wrong. Just because (the customer or owner) is standing there watching shouldn't affect your work at all. Matter of fact unless you are doing some shiesty stuff you should want them too see. That away they know they can't complain.

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
blktalon456 said:
no disrespect guys but to me if a mechanic walks away and stops working on my vehicle I'm immediately going to think something is up or wrong. Just because (the customer or owner) is standing there watching shouldn't affect your work at all. Matter of fact unless you are doing some shiesty stuff you should want them too see. That away they know they can't complain.
Step to the other side of the wrench for a minute.....

Where you need to be rough with the car to remove or install that part, customers RARELY understand that this NEEDS to be done to complete the work.

I.E. I work as a car audio/electronics installation tech, and in MANY cases I have to pry parts of the dashboards off. Many customers would cringe at this, I've even had a customer as me "What the HELL are you doing? Do you even know what you're doing?" On a type of vehicle that I had worked on MANY times before, and know exactly where and how hard to pry. For thsi reason I don't allow customers to be in the bay with me, or watch, they also tend to get in the way, when I need to get a tool, or walk to grab something, or just plain distracting me by talking, I'm working, leave me alone.

There's also insurance reasons, if they are in the bay with me and get hurt, they are not covered, and would rather not take the chance of them getting hurt.

Personally I HATE being watched, by the owner of the vehicle, by my bosses, or by someone I work with, it just bugs me, and is usually when I would make a mistake, or forget to re-install a part.

Aphytex said:
Are you sure it wasn't like that before you took it there... Cause not many people look at their car before taking it somewhere, but many look at it afterwards. And if you are looking for things to catch him for, you might find something that was there before, but you never really noticed.
I've had this happen countless times, Everyone's car is perfect before it comes, abso-phucking-lutly perfect before I pull it in the bay. :roll:

Let's see, I've been acussed of scratching a car, this scratch had rust in it, that was not just a fresh starting of rust, but under the paint and bubbling. :roll:

Breaking the sunroof, or causing it to break, after the fact, like 3 days later, while they were driving. :roll:

Causing the tail lights to blow out. :roll:

Causing the water pump to blow. :roll:

Wearing out thier brakes, because they didn't notice the (P) being lit up in bright red on thier dashboard for two days. :roll:

Setting something on thier hood and creating scratches accross it, when I NEVER set anything on the vehicles I work on, and am also bewildered by how this particular customer came up with the idea that it was a carboard box, a bit specific to me, isn't it?

A co-worker was actually acussed of being the cause for the fender falling off of a car he put a remote start in. The customer apparently came up with this idea that the fender was removed or loosened from the vehcile to install the remote starter, that never needs to be done on any vehcile I've worked on.

There have been many more...

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
How about a transmission shop that has a buddies truck, not only backs another vehicle into it, but replaces the taillight (ignoring the massive dent on the quarter panel that was created) and tried to cover it up?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Aphytex said:
barrok69 said:

:lol: That'd be kinda cool.

Yea, valet chip is a no no, its carbed. And I wash my car every day, theres no way in hell I would have left it as dirty as it was, I washed it twice when I got it home that day, I can't stand it when my car is dirty, and the paint on the door where it got dinged was only half peeled off when I noticed it, no rust or anything, I know my car didn't have that there when I brought it, My car is parked in a driveway with no other cars at all times, when I park it at public places, I park at the other side of the parking lot where theres no cars, the chip is big enough that I would notice it right away no matter where, even at night. This has been the car of my dreams since I was 3 years old, 15 years later I have one. I watch this car like a hawk. And I don't do burnouts or donuts with it, haven't once since I got it and put the new back tires on.

·
Banned
7,153 Posts
Six_Shooter said:
A co-worker was actually acussed of being the cause for the fender falling off of a car he put a remote start in. The customer apparently came up with this idea that the fender was removed or loosened from the vehcile to install the remote starter, that never needs to be done on any vehcile I've worked on.

There have been many more...
If you're pulling a fender to install a remote start, you're doing something wrong. :p

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.