J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on ebay looking at performance chips for my cavalier,
and they have these "resistors" for like 6 bucks total...
they claim to add up to 20 horsepower, but i'm confused as to how they work and can they really do this?

Does anyone have any information on this ?

<LINK_TEXT text="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PERFORMA ... otohosting">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PERFORMANCE-CHIP-CHEVY-CAVALIER-93-97-98-02-03-20HP_W0QQitemZ190152741548QQihZ009QQcategoryZ33597QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting</LINK_TEXT>

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Someone at the parts store said they desperately needed my help the other day. The ASE patch on my shoulder was enough to tell him I was a tech. He started explaining about this special power module He'd bought and how it was going to add 40 hp to his '05 Ford. I almost cried when he said he needed to find the IAT sensor to hook it inline. I tried so hard to tell him it was junk, that it was a waste of $30, but he just didn't want to listen. His buddies truck made 20 hp so it must work. I told him I used to run a dyno and that I could make his truck appear to gain power without doing anything other than running it hard from a cool start, waiting 15 minutes, and running it again. He didn't want to know. I told him OBDII tuning was so tight that the resistor trick rarely did anything anymore, but he stil didn't want to listen. I even told him I burn chips for GM vehicles and it takes more than a resistor to make a real difference, but he still didn't want to listen. Then when I showed him the IAT on his truck was part of the MAF sensor and shouldn't be tampered with, he started asking where the coolant temp sensor was. I just left him there.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
slowolej said:
Someone at the parts store said they desperately needed my help the other day. The ASE patch on my shoulder was enough to tell him I was a tech. He started explaining about this special power module He'd bought and how it was going to add 40 hp to his '05 Ford. I almost cried when he said he needed to find the IAT sensor to hook it inline. I tried so hard to tell him it was junk, that it was a waste of $30, but he just didn't want to listen. His buddies truck made 20 hp so it must work. I told him I used to run a dyno and that I could make his truck appear to gain power without doing anything other than running it hard from a cool start, waiting 15 minutes, and running it again. He didn't want to know. I told him OBDII tuning was so tight that the resistor trick rarely did anything anymore, but he stil didn't want to listen. I even told him I burn chips for GM vehicles and it takes more than a resistor to make a real difference, but he still didn't want to listen. Then when I showed him the IAT on his truck was part of the MAF sensor and shouldn't be tampered with, he started asking where the coolant temp sensor was. I just left him there.
lmao.. Some people.

If it says it on the ebay ad, it's gotta be true :lol:

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
the ebay resistors are junk. I put a hypertech chip in my old bird with a 160 thermostat and i picked up .3 in the 1/4 mile. :pimp:

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I made a chip for my car, I am guessing I gained a good 120HP at the wheels. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.