J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the performance chips offered for the 3.1 v6 worth the money. I have a 93 pontiac sunbird convertible and plan on doing the cold air intake mod, throttle body by-pass mod and some exhaust work. I was going to buy a chip but wanted to know if anyone has seen any significant changes in their car by putting one in. E-mail me or post a reply. Thanks, the sun is great when the top is down!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
I havnt actually installed a chip yet, but when i do, i am going to go with Fastchip ( http://www.fastchip.com ). From the research i have done, they seem to be the best for our cars. I would stay away from Hypertech, as i have head many negative comments about their chips. The only thing that is stopping me from getting a fastchip right now, is the need for premium fuel, and these damn high gas prices!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all,
I went with Superchips. They had to special make it because I have a weird computer code, but the low end torque really snaps your neck now. I've noticed a considerable difference, mostly in the low end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im not really sure exactly what a chip does or where it would be installed. Could somebody give me a heads up on this stuff?

Kirb

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Check out http://www.fastchips.com or http://www.superchips.com
What a chip does it provide a different program for the computer (ECM) that adjusts things such as ignition timeing, shift points (on an automatic), engine temp settings, etc to give the car more power. Some chips require you to install a lower temperature thermostat and run primo gas to compensate for this adjustment. You can gain maybe 10-15 HP from one, depending on the manufacture and other mods you have already done. The chip is located behind the glovebox.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Well, Superchips told me 14 hp and 24 ft lbs of torque, costs $200, and Fastchips told me 13 hp for theres, costs $160 (stage 2). You need a low temp (160 deg) thermo with the fastchip, but not the Superchip. Hafta use 92+ octane gas with both to prevent spark knock due to the advanced timing. I think I may now be leaning more towards the Superchip... Just dunno if I want to pay the extra cash for primo gas all the time

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just a little quip from me, as always - I recommend you use 92 octane whether you have a chip or not. Gas prices are starting to deflate, and higher octane is better for your engine in the long run, anyways. One place around here actually sells 93 octane, but for a 10¢ price gap, 92 will work fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
about that chip...

from what i hear, they can cause more bad than good to your engine, and only give a real benefit after youve done some REAL engine work. i'm talking cam, valves, and that BS. but if you guys wanna spend another $250 fixing the problems your chip caused, go ahead.

*413*

·
Registered
677 Posts
They don't cause any harm. Some chips add a ton of spark but even so the knock sensor will take care of the knock. You wont get any performance gains doing it that way but its not going to be harmful in any way.

The chips I do are actually better for the engine than the stock chips at WOT.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
*sigh* You people need to look at the dates BEFORE you post in the topic. What was the saying...? Holy 3 years ago BATMAN!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.