J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally completed my project. My performance engine is complete. Started it on Sept 26th. Can't wait for the break in period to be over. I have only put 65 miles on it so far with no significant problems. I posted new pictures in my registry. Next is 2 1/2" mandrel bent piping which will be on in about 2 weeks.

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
looks good!!!!!

i was thinking about doing the same thing, what was the total cost?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I could figure (It was tough saving every receipt) I have about $3,200 in the engine. It would have been cheaper if I had done more myself but I wanted it professionally built. I had the heads built in the machine shop and I paid a friend (certified GM mechanic) $900 for doing the engine removal, tear down, assembly and reinstall. We did it in my garage over about a 6 month period whenever he could come by. He works on all my cars for me. We just put ball joints in the Z24 this morning. The most work I did was repainting the engine compartment and refinishing every part to the engine.

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
what do you think about buying a performance built crate engine like they sell on jbod performance? thats the road i was thinking about taking

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I carefully selected every single element that went into the engine. From the cam to what type of valve spring to what type of head bolts to use, and on and on. Input from members on this site was priceless, also the machine shop gave me some options too. Its a one of a kind custom built engine. It would probably be cheaper to go with a crate engine, its always more expensive to bebuild the original engine in the car. If I would not have known someone who could do it, I would have had to go with a crate motor. We put a crate motor in my kids Explorer and it turned out real nice. If you go with a crate motor shop around, there is a big difference in pricing.

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
how much hp is your engine pumping out now?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is really a guess. I have not put the car on a dyno yet. Since the intake, heads, and exhaust manifolds are ported and polished, the block honed 30 over, and the compression and valve lift increased with the pistons, cam and valvetrain parts I used, I would think about 210 hp. It could be more or less. When I dyno the car I will post the results. I am going to wait until the engine is broken in to do it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I spent more than I started out thinking I was going to spend. I was just going to put a K & N filter on it and then I discovered this site and started asking raven, v6ho, and others questions and the rest was history. I really got hooked by this car. Same thing happened to me with duck hunting. I went with a buddy one time and the next thing I knew I had a lab, boat, motor, trailer, $600 shotgun, 500 decoys, motorized decoys, gortex thinsulate everything. I guess I figured any sport where you could shoot a gun and drink liquor at the same time had to be good!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.