J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
input shaft bearing.

syncros.

probably more but those are the 2 i know of.

·
Registered
652 Posts
like for automatics they just give certain pecies so they shift harder soft shifts on some thing proformance will burn the clutches ... as for the manual trannys breaking i was talking to a guy with a 3.1 turbo he was running 12.3's w slicks and he broke the diffrential the casing and broke a lot of aftermarket axels ... personaly i love my automatic i have axels from the junk yard i believe there from a grand am and i have been beatin the shit out of it for over a year and didn't do any thing yet. and i like my consistant 60's in the 2.05 with the radial t/a's

as for manual trannys getting proformance kits i dunno

·
Registered
931 Posts
Like said above, for automatics the performance rebuild is just to mainly change the nature of how it shifts with shims and springs on things. Faster firmer shifts put less wear on clutches at the expense of not being such a comfortable ride.

For a manual a stronger clutch is about the most common thing, and then to replace parts that are worn like synchros and bearings. Other than that the hard parts are re-used just like in an auto.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
If you want automatics to last longer, get an external trans cooler and rig up a cooling fan switch to keep constant air through it when you're doing things that might harm the trans. It helps anyway.

As far as manuals, haven't heard much either.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Actually, there are many "performance" parts for manual transmissions. Parts like better input / output / main / countershafts, bearings where bushings are normally used, stronger cases, stronger or non-stock ratio gears, and shift forks are available for different transmissions. But us FWD guys rarely get to see any since there's just no market for it.

The first thing I do for my own trans is to replace the synchros, whether performance or stock rebuild. I'm not sure for the Getrag / Muncie / NVG trans, but if your unit comes with paper lined synchros and you can replace them with the forged steel type it's probably a good idea to do so. The condition of the teeth on the driven gear which mates with the sunchro sleeve is extremely important. Badly beaten teeth can cause difficulty in shifting. And the shift forks cannot be worn unevenly or broken or else they will need to be replaced.

Look for bushings worn excessivly as evidenced by outer coatings being worn through of by excess play around a shaft or between two parts. You can "blueprint" a trans in the same way you blueprint an engine, by putting in extra work to make sure all parts and dimensions are at the optimum spec.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.