J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
back in may i ordered up a set of the first 20 made production run of the then NEW S&S Headers 3400 headers.

WHY? because they have the proper "D" shape port that will work with my 3100 heads. that and i wanted headers so bad that i was willing to work with what i could get.. figured it would be cheaper and easier to buy a premade set and modify the rear header to work down the firewall than have to build from scratch...

Now the N bodies which these headers are made for 99+ GA, Alero, Malibu, have a different engine bay configuration...
i knew this as i work on these cars day in and day out. so when i ordered the headers, i knew i was going to have to modify the rear as it "points" or is directed out of the engine bay on an angle rather than our Jbody manifolds that route down and then out under the car.

ordered some Jbends along with the headers to do this.

Now, im very fortunate to have spare parts laying around. so i setup a spare 3100 engine and my old blown transmission and bolted them together.

put the rear header on.... ooh this looks good... hehee..
put the front header on... hmm this isnt fitting so good... :-?

with the 5spd Manual Trans, the front headers # 2 pipe where its almost meeting the collector routes down too far and hits the transmission. it is routed down so far as to not alow the header to bolt up even to the head.
this is even without the transmission mount bracket that sits in the same spot in there as well...

got thinking about it. wanted the headers done and ready for the Jbody Bash 03 (this is back in June remember) so i almost started to cut them..

then realized that the whole front header would have to be completely reworked basically starting anew.
the rear header has to still be routed down and out, and then the crossover tube would then after all that is done be re routed to mate up to the two headers and work together....

figuring the costs involved in the initail purchase, then the time and engergy and costs of the extra Jbends involved. and the headache of doing this project. i abandoned it. to sell the headers to my buddy Jordie who owns a 01 Grand Am GT.. (which by the way i was able to get to run a 14.9second pass from my porting work and the headers.)

so there you have it. the pics can be found here:

http://www.domesticcrew.com/colin/header%20mock%20up/

the reason the Front header wont fit is due to the N bodies using the 4T45-E auto transmission. the transmission does a sharp drop down from the 2 upper bellhousing bolts down about 3-4 inches to the main bulk of the case. this compared to the Muncie/Getrag/NVG trans which only drops an inch an goes straight across, makes for the No fittment issue.

Just thought i'd post these Pics and info incase someone is thinking of ordering these and using them. as they wont work. and know you know why.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
see pic # 5 and #7 for the view of the interferance fit.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
will 3.1 headers work on a 3400? like if i wanted to put the turbo 3.1 kit on would it fit?
NO.

3.1L = ROUND EXHAUST PORTS

3100/3400 = "D" shaped exhaust ports.

3.1L exh on a 3X00 head WILL NOT WORK!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not angry.. sorry, i just use caps to make sure the point gets across..

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
look who's talking... said:
you'll see that indeed, Colin is a dork
yeah sure am.... bastid.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Dr Doogie Howser M Dork said:
look who's talking... said:
you'll see that indeed, Colin is a dork
yeah sure am.... bastid.
lol you and Chris, I am really trying hard to teach you two "the internet" I just haven't got around to file and folder naming! :p

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Professor said:
lol you and Chris, I am really trying hard to teach you two "the internet" I just haven't got around to file and folder naming! :p
yeah is that next the lesson teacher?? i'll make sure i do my homework....

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I can definitely see why making your own would be a better choice :eek:

Nice porting pics by the way. Very nice job.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Collen Jones said:
The Professor said:
yeah is that next the lesson teacher?? i'll make sure i do my homework....
the next concept is file sharing. I have a practical demonstration! give me your LSD. :D

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bastids!! damn why did i post those pics in there.... shit i didnt realize you guys would go searching through the parent directory... if i knew that. damn you! :nono:
i feel so violated... (sarchasm) LOL :D

ok yes... that is the new Malibu 3500. i'll post a topic just on that.. and explain more for you there...

the next concept is file sharing. I have a practical demonstration! give me your LSD.
NEVER! :guns:

i gave you plenum gaskets... isnt that enough?? :lol:

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DAMN! there goes that idea..
so since i just saved you hundreds of dollars in buying headers that wont work... you should just give me $50 bucks and i'll call it even...since i just saved you all that time/money/agrivation... you owe me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (im kidding, but seriously you can do that if you'd like)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.