J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
they just keep takin' beatings, and keep on poundin'

i have a pair of older model pioneer impps. they've gone through a lot... after tonight, i think it's finally time to permanently retire them. they've made it through massive cracks in the cones (repaired with good 'ol super glue) and still sounded like new.... they've lasted through ripped surrounds... but tonight i litteraly "fried" em.

me 'n my buddies where drivin' around with the stereo on, and all of sudden we start to smell this burning comming from the trunk, so of course we pull over, i pop the trunk, and i open it to see a cloud of smoke seeping out around the subs.... the best part is... they still work..... and actually reproduce good bass. now them is some tough subs.

·
Registered
13,406 Posts
i have 2 jensen titaniums, my cousin had them before me and coudln;t kill them, he put more wattage through them than there was suppose to be and they are still like new. right now i have them hooked directly to my deck cuz i dont' have an amp yet, but they pound pretty good with only 50 watts max going through them haah

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
sask_cruiser said:
it's not gonna blow my deck... how the hell would it blow my deck? it's drawing power from the deck, not sending power to it.
You know absolutely nothing do you? It's trying to pull more power from the deck than it can produce.

What deck do you have? Are the subs crossed over? Or do they run full range? And giving a sub 50 watts is like feeding an obese glutton a head of lettuce, it won't do shit!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Hmmmm...good way to blow a deck huh...I have a 4 year service plan coming to an end this month from Worst Buy. I could use a new version of my deck till I have cash for new audio gear. :D

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
black94rs said:
sask_cruiser said:
it's not gonna blow my deck... how the hell would it blow my deck? it's drawing power from the deck, not sending power to it.
You know absolutely nothing do you? It's trying to pull more power from the deck than it can produce.

What deck do you have? Are the subs crossed over? Or do they run full range? And giving a sub 50 watts is like feeding an obese glutton a head of lettuce, it won't do shit!
lol good analogy

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
sask_cruiser said:
i have sub-outs, and i hooked the subs up to the back speakers so my 6x9's arn't hooked up anymore but my dad's friend set the stereo so that the back speakers are set up to run subs
What HU do you have? Is it an older Pioneer? Because with those you ould actually bridge the rear channels fo the internal amp for a sub, but again it isn't alot of power and you're asking the deck to work WAY to hard.

·
Registered
13,406 Posts
i have a new pioneer 6500.. if my deck couldn;t handle it, my dad's friend would have said so because he knows enough about stuff like that, so if he didn't say it wasn't ok, then it is ok

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
i had a 100 watt lighting audio i ran 200 watts to for over a year and it still pounds in my boys car. i payed 30 bucks for that sub brand new

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
What he is trying to get through your head is not only does your friends dad apparently not know anything about how car audio works, but also, you're going to replace that deck in the near future. The reason being is because deck amplifiers cannot handle the current draw that subs will produce and eventually it will burn up. We are trying to help you out here so stop being hard headed unless you want to replace your deck and then spend more money for an amp later.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.