J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
New to me '88 Z24 as of about 6 weeks ago. The body & paint are in GREAT shape. The engine is nice & smooth & strong with no knocks or ticking or oil leaks etc. The transmission shifts smoothly with no problems either. The interior is a little worn in spots but overall in GREAT shape. It's got a factory AC Delco 6-disk changer added as well -- that certainly wasn't an option in 88, so I don't know what year it's from, but it's kind of nice to have in there too.

There are a couple of issues I need to address - primarily with the windows. The drivers side window "clunks" when its rolled down and appears to be offset by 1/8 inch or so - so it's slipped in the track or the little guide wheel has rounded off. I'll probably take it in to have my mechanic look at this one -- that way I know it gets aligned properly when we fix it.

The drivers side rear window won't roll down at all. No sound from the motor or anything, so I don't know yet if it's the switch or the motor or something else. I'm planning on digging into that yet this summer.

The window sweeps have deteriorated. All 4 will need replacing. For now, I'm just not driving it when rain is forecast and when I wash it, I put a piece of tape along the bottom edge of the window to keep water out.

The air conditioner needs to be recharged - and it hasn't been converted to R134. That's probably more expensive than I want to deal with so I'm just going to ignore it -- it's already a convertible after all!

The cruise control doesn't work. No idea on this one but I won't be taking it out of town much anyway, so again not a big deal for me.

That's really about it for problems that I've found so far. I've fixed a few little things already and done a basic detail on it, but there isn't much I had to do. So far I've put on a new muffler & changed the tailpipe, reglued the vinyl for the headliner strip, spraypainted the interior sillplate (it had been replaced at some point and was grey instead of navy blue -- I used Rustoleum satin midnight blue spraypaint for plastic and it's a pretty close match), removed the (ripped) fabric over the back speakers, and took a Magic Eraser to remove all the paint from the ashtray because it was all scratched up. Now the ashtray matches the back of the heater controls really well. I also added folding cupholders to the center console.

I've got a Parrot handsfree bluetooth unit from a previous car and I'll add that in at some point as well... but I really want to keep this pretty much stock.

I've been ecstatic with this car! I had an 88 coupe (also in white) in college so there's a lot of nostalgia here too :)

Full album here: http://i.imgur.com/nt5wTun.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/nt5wTun.jpg?1</URL>" width="600">

·
Registered
33 Posts
Holy cow jokerswild_ - that car is in great condition! I had a white 88 as well, nowhere near as clean and nice. Must be something about the weatherstripping Chev used- I now have a 1991 Olds convertible in the same kinda shape as your Z, and the weatherstripping has no issues.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I bought it from a guy over in Winona. He said he bought it in 1988 with 8000 miles on it. He kept it until 2009 when he lost his job in the recession and had to sell it. In 2010 he got a new job and BOUGHT IT BACK again!

This thing has been babied its entire life. he told me he really didn't want to let it go, but his girlfriend finally convinced him that he wasn't driving it enough to justify keeping it. He said he felt it was worth more than I was offering, but it was important to him that it went to someone who appreciated it - so that was worth a few bucks to him as well.

I know he's kept up on maintenance and replaced a few things on it -- for example the interior drivers-side door sill was grey instead of factory blue. I have since spraypainted it back to the correct color. If you look closely below the windows, you can see a faint line where the pinstripe used to be, so that probably started to peel or crack and was removed.

It has a factory-installed AC Delco 6-disc CD changer in the trunk. As far as I know, that wasn't even an option until 92 or so, though - so he added that later as well. It actually uses an FM transmitter/bypass (hardwired between the radio and the antenna) so when I want to play a CD, I turn the radio to 89.9 and hit the power button on the CD remote (which is glued to the center console between the gearshift and the coin holder). The remote has an LCD screen but that's gone out over the years so you just kind of have to remember which disc and song you're on... but that's no big deal. etc.

All in all, I think it was quite a find and I'm glad to have picked it up.

·
Premium Member
1988 Z24 Coupe 5spd, 1988 Wagon w/94 Auto Drivetrain, 1992 Z24 Convertible Auto, 1994 Z24 Coupe 5spd
2,697 Posts
While the exterior of my car still isn't much to look at, the interior is pretty nice, if I say so myself.

Here are some pictures of the interior.
And today was the first time I ever put the boot on it 8)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1988 Z24 Coupe 5spd, 1988 Wagon w/94 Auto Drivetrain, 1992 Z24 Convertible Auto, 1994 Z24 Coupe 5spd
2,697 Posts
jbodyguy said:
Hey butch, that's some nice looking interior you have there! I like the bright white for sure, where did you get the floor mats at?

I got the floor mats from AutoAnything.com. They are Lloyd Mats Ultimat Custom Floor Mats.
I have another brand new never used set for sale. They are more of a bright red and didn't match the color of the car, so I ordered another set in a darker red.
<LINK_TEXT text="http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/fs-cust ... 31698.html">http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/fs-custom-z24-floor-mats-price-reduced-t131698.html</LINK_TEXT>

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
jbodyguy said:
Nice, I will check them out, I need them in a light saddle though as my interior is light tan or saddle.
They are nice mats and fit real well, not perfect, but nicely, LOL, I should send them a pattern of the modifications needed to make them a 'perfect' fit. But they do fit good as is. The backing seems like it might not hold up long. My drivers side is already showing signs of cracking. BUT, it is around the area over the plastic heel pad in the carpet, so maybe putting a layer of foam or rubber pad under it at the heel pad would help it's longevity.

Anyway I'd buy another set of these.
Not sure if there is any other custom made ones though. Maybe a better one available.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts