J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sometimes im driving and as im driving my rear defog just turns off, then i go to turn it back on and it wont come back on, then at the same time ill try to use power locks and they do that shitty clicking sound that you get when there isnt enough power, but when i leave it sit for a minute or 5 they work just fine again, im thinking a fuse is going bad but all my fuses are good...any ideas???

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
If I'm not mistaking rear de-foggers will turn off automatically. as for the fuse I'm almost positive that they won't go bad, they'll just pop on you.

see how I did that, I said I'm almost positive, incase I'm wrong I don't look like a total idiot hahaha

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Yeah, the rear defroster will turn off automatically, but I can usually turn mine right back on. If the door locks weren't going crazy at the same time, I would say that it is just normal operation, but that does dound a bit strange. Not sure how those two could be related though, as I don't think they are on the same fuse? If I have time, I will look at a wiring diagram...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea i know they turn off automatically, but like moon said, you should be able to turn it right back on...but i cant...i dont know if they are related or what but it seems to happen at the same time...thanks for the help

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have the same problem, but having them related I don't think so. The defroster will turn off on it's own, you can't turn it back on for about 10 mins because it is set up so it won't get to hot. The thing with the locks I don't know. Mine do the same thing and I haven't been ablt to figure it out. It seems to only do it when it is really cold or wet.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you get off lucky then mine is really bad cold and wet, but it still does it in perfect weather, it just recently started acting up and its annoying the hell out of me, think i could try to replace the accessory fuse? or any fuse?
i checked them all and none are broken or melted or anyhting bad...

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Maybe it's not on a fuse, maybe it's on a circuit breaker? in the fuse panel there are large silver things. maybe one of those is going bad? cause the metal in the breaker itself could be getting weak and therefore get warmer faster and cause it to break sooner?

that ? was because I'm not sure it just sounds like a good explanation... hopefully someone can verify my in-co-herent ramblings.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats what i was thinking...anyone know how much those would cost or which one i would need to replace? im guessing i could just get one at the local autozone....

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good news..i checked out the part about the fuse getting too hot and i burned my fingers to all hell...but i replaced the fuse and havent had a problem with it since...thanks guys

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea it was the little silver thing..hot as hell!

thanks a lot!

·
Registered
278 Posts
When you changed your breaker did it fix the problem? I changed mine and it still got too hot to touch, and then my power locks stopped working but this time the defroster didn't shut off. Maybe I'll just have to see what happens next time I use it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea it works fine now...both power locks and rear defog....maybe you didnt get the right amperage breaker? i believe its 30...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well mine is working fine now. The breaker still get's really hot just doesn't burn out now, which is good cause now I can have my locks working all the time. I hated arming my alarm and then having to go back and lock my doors manually.

·
Registered
725 Posts
:) just replaced my circuit breaker... and everything is back to normal again. it's nice to actually have rear defog now. at first i thought that the rear tint was messing the connections with the little wires, but guess not.

manster :evil:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey guys i had the same prob my circuit breaker was really hot and i replaced it and it was still hot until i found out the prob it was the positive wire rubing and i guess it warn out the plastic cover and shorted out so i taped it and it's workin fine now and the fuses aren't hot either

·
Registered
165 Posts
where is that curcut breakere located, mine does the same noise, i was about to replace the whole lock cylinoid but this may be it, damn i hope so, that noise sucks and its annoying when they dont lock

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here's a copy of the fuse block layout from the manual for a 93Z. The circuit breaker that you are looking for is in the bottom right. It is labeled as ACC. This breaker does the Power Locks and Rear Window Defogger.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts