J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love how everything seems to die at once. After running the engine for about 2 minutes, I can hear a hissing noise and some smoke coming from what I believe is the power steering pump - or that vicinity. Exactly where is the pump? It has to be the power steering, I can hear myself turning no matter how much fluid I add - that, and I'm always able to add some.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
The pump is connected directly to the fill reservoir. Its the big pully on the top of the engine. It is possible it isnt the pump thats bad, it may just be a hose or something. Sorry about the bad luck

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems to me that the smoke is coming from the lower-left section of the engine bay, below the pump. I assume it's a hose due to the hissing, but that doesn't explain why the reservoir is orange.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This might have nothing to do with your problem... for all I know you might have gotten it solved already... but I had a leak in my power steering hose and it was dripping on the manifold, causing it to smoke really bad. Before I knew this was happening, I was having trouble turning and I was always refilling my power steering fluid... we took it to the shop and I got the hose, and maybe the pump (I cant remember) replaced. So its all good... I'm positive that didnt help you but it was worth the shot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts