J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its about time i posted what ive been slaving over since august. the engine is together, i decided to put the iron heads on. but not before some extreme porting. they should flow alot better than stock but no where near the aluminum heads. :lol: the intake is fully polished and gasket matched to the heads. put some fiero valve covers on there with T-bolts for ease of removal. i have a solid cam so lashing will need to be done frequently. i had to index the alternator to clear the front T-bolt. clutchnet.com 6-puck clutch, etc. ill let the pics do the talking.

Attachments

· Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
whitelightning2 said:
man, you weren't kiddng in that PM.. LOL

Of course the LSA is the bigger factor.. if it's 112 then it won't be terrible, 110 and you might have idle vacuum issues like i did.

It should have a mean idle :p
i think it is a 112 lsa, i remember calling last year. i wrote it down but i got lost in the move :lol: ill have to call and verify again :)

· Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
engine is in the truck, started to install the crossmember, but it started to rain(truck is outside). so instead i started working on installing this, but then i ran out of welding wire. :x :lol:

Attachments

· Registered
186 Posts
good welding less grinding is the key looks like a fun project im a aws certified welder. I donno if id cut that hood up though looks kinda mint. Im assuming you having clearance problems with the hood/engine good maybe? 8)

· Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
illldeca said:
good welding less grinding is the key looks like a fun project im a aws certified welder. I donno if id cut that hood up though looks kinda mint. Im assuming you having clearance problems with the hood/engine good maybe? 8)
the underside of the grille only sits about an 1/8" lower than the innerstructure of the hood itself, plenty of clearance. im going to weld aluminum bolts to the grille and sand them flush to give it a clean look. right now im concentrating on building it to support the added 25 pounds of weight :lol:

· Registered
186 Posts
34blazer said:
illldeca said:
the underside of the grille only sits about an 1/8" lower than the innerstructure of the hood itself, plenty of clearance. im going to weld aluminum bolts to the grille and sand them flush to give it a clean look. right now im concentrating on building it to support the added 25 pounds of weight :lol:
It can take the wieght during an engine swap I dropped a big 225 slant 6 engine ontop of one of them got pretty dented it was purple. I pulled the engine out of the truck and used the hood as a bridge to the back of another pickup :lol:

· Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
illldeca said:
34blazer said:
illldeca said:
It can take the wieght during an engine swap I dropped a big 225 slant 6 engine ontop of one of them got pretty dented it was purple. I pulled the engine out of the truck and used the hood as a bridge to the back of another pickup :lol:
:lol: the things we do to get the job done

· Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
a little update, the hummer grille is done. it really stiffened up the hood with all the supports i welded in. heres a pic of it sitting on the front clip. i need to get some aluminum bolts and weld them into the grille to give it a clean look. i dont like seeing the bolts on top :lol:

Attachments

· Registered
186 Posts
34blazer said:
a little update, the hummer grille is done. it really stiffened up the hood with all the supports i welded in. heres a pic of it sitting on the front clip. i need to get some aluminum bolts and weld them into the grille to give it a clean look. i dont like seeing the bolts on top :lol:
pretty pristine looking good work but can i ask how you expect to weld aluminum bolts to a sheet steel grill?

· Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
illldeca said:
34blazer said:
pretty pristine looking good work but can i ask how you expect to weld aluminum bolts to a sheet steel grill?
its actually aluminum, i used to make them :wink:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.