J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey moon got another question for you. When I start my 3.1 v6 z24 as I mentioned before it takes a couple of cranks to get it started, when it does start a puff of smoke comes out the tail pipe, it's like charcol gray in color. Once it's running no more smoke any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
OK, you say it is charcoal gray. Would you say it is closer to gray or to black?

Gray smoke generally means that your piston rings and/or valve guides are becoming worn, so the engine is burning quite a bit of oil. Sometimes this smoke can have a bluish tint to it.

Black smoke can be caused by an ignition system problem, fuel injectors, or simply a clogged air filter.

I am guessing that your charcoal gray smoke is probably black smoke?

How many miles are on the engine?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The smoke comming out of the tail pipe is alittle closer to black than grey, there's 135,000 miles on the car. I'm not sure if the filter is the problem I replaced it about 4 or 5 months ago, I change my oil and oil filter every 3000 miles and just recently added a heavy duty injector cleaner. Thnks for the input moon I'll try in check out what you recommened.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts