J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I was working on my sunbird today, and I noticed that the alternator belt was almost three quarters off one of the pulleys. I got in contact with a mechanic friend, he took a look at it and said it is from all of the hard driving I do. I have a 3.1 v6 and I like to accelerate hard in 1st and 2nd gear when I cruise. I have only had the car for 6 months, and am kind of dissapointed that this has happened to it. I am wondering if this has happened to any other J-body drivers out there, and would I need some performance pulleys to prevent this from happening again? I don't know what else to do, every time I see a rice rocket, I feel its my duty to put it in it's place.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
I doubt this happened because of your driving. It is probably because either the belt is getting worn, or your tensioner isnt keeping the belt tight enough. I would replace the belt and see what happens. At least it didnt come all the way off! I drive my car hard all the time and have never had a problem with the belt, so it is probably just a bit loose.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I can second that it's not from hard driving, I run the gears any time I see a non-Italian import or any domestic rice I see around, and I never had the problem. I'd have to say that the tension isn't great enough - and as a side note, change the belt every 60k miles to be safe.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
i may feel really stupid when i hear the answer, and you probably think i'm dense for asking, but what does rice mean? I got the idea but what exactly ie: import, suped etc.?

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
This isnt a solution to the problem, but I thought i would mention for those of you interested, that there IS an underdrive alternator pully available for our engine. You can find it at ASP Racing
It is listed towards the bottom of the page, under the 3.1L Beretta V6. 15% reduction, and the cost is $120. Of course if you get this, don't forget to pick up the smaller belt, which is belt number K060695, that any auto parts store should have. I think I might get one sometime soon...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ever the inquisitive one, I have to bring this up for both my sake and everyone elses: What good would an aftermarket belt do? There can't possibly be that significant a difference between belts, can there? Just doesn't seem like something that people tend to worry about.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Well, since the alt pulley will be smaller, the distance the belt will have to travel around will be slightly less, so unless you get a slightly smaller belt, it will be loose

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Well, actually, i was thinking, and i guess the tiny difference in pulley size probably wouldnt make the belt get too loose, as the tensioner would probably tighten it up alright, but I havnt done it, so I cant say for sure.

·
Registered
415 Posts
As one that has installed an underdrive pulley, you need the smaller belt. The tensioner cant make up the difference for the underdrive pulley, so get the smaller belt.
Make sure you get at least the gates brand belt. Theyve been around for just about forever and are the best imo.
Do get the pulley as your throttle response is better and you notice power gain in every rev range. Its a nice add on and well worth it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts