J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled out my 3.1 about 2 weeks ago for the 3400 and in the how-to on this site it says that if its an auto its usually easier to leave the trans in. My dad seems to think that it would be a whole lot easier if i would have just pulled the trans with the engine. What are the reasons for leaving the trans in the car for an auto, what makes it so much easier?

I know when i pulled the engine, there were some bolts that were a huge PITA to get to, especially the one tranny bolt nearest the firewall. Could barely fit a wrench/socket/even a hand in there because u had to reach over the trans and backwards.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
leaving the trans in saves the trouble of poping the axles out, removing the balljoints etc to pop axles.. blah blah

i've done 3 or 4 swaps now and left the auto trans in. seems like theres more room when doing it that way.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
barrok69 said:
leaving the trans in saves the trouble of poping the axles out, removing the balljoints etc to pop axles.. blah blah

i've done 3 or 4 swaps now and left the auto trans in. seems like theres more room when doing it that way.
Same for the above reasons also :wink: And Xbot some long extensions make that backside trans bolt alot easier if you get from the passenger wheel well :wink:

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
z26guy said:
barrok69 said:

Same for the above reasons also :wink: And Xbot some long extensions make that backside trans bolt alot easier if you get from the passenger wheel well :wink:
I would suggest the same. I've used/use a 36" extension, to get to that bolt, the rathchet is usually in the passenger wheel well.

Also the auto trans is bulkier than the manual trans, making it very difficult to pull the trans and enging together, without it getting hung up on the frame rails. Overall the auto trans and engine is about 2" wider assembled than a manual transaxle and engine, which is tight enough to fit up past the frame rails.
The auto trans allows you to disconnect the flexplate from the torque converter, which will squeeze up through the opening that is left behind, especially if you support the trans or place a jack under the tranny to lift it up some.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
When I put my 3.1/auto in the car, I did it as a unit.. I also had the brake booster out the car, and hung the master cylinder off to the side. No issues.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i've pulled a 2.8 / auto out of the top as a unit without any trouble. the only thing i had to do was remove the AC compressor, and i had the brake master pulled to the side, booster was still there though. it wasnt that bad at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.