J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I bought a used 2.2 out of an 87 cavalier a little while ago. My plan is to tear it down and rebuild it. new cam, rods, pistons rings, bath, hone, bore (to 2.4)...ect. Well one of my plans was to put a turbo on it.

So I'm here to ask suggestions on what turbo would work best, what do i need to get/modify....EVERYTHING!. right down to the boost guage. i want all the info and suggestions I can get.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
87's didnt have 2.2's.. they had 2.0L's.

to bore a 2.2L to 2.4L is way past the normal limit of regular replacement pistons.

even with a 2.2L stock bore of 3.5inch and 3.46 stroke. an over bore of .060 inch. will still only result in gaining 3 CID.

stock CID of 2.2L is 134. with a .060 overbore your only seeing 137.8 CID. which is almost 2.3L Litres.

to get 2.4L you need a bore of about 3.63 inch way past the limit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok well thanks for that bit of info. Ill reconsider the bore now. but this 87 cav i took the motor out of it IS a 2.2 I can garuantee it. says 2.2 right under the hood and the door says "'87" its the same exact engine as my car. Dont ask how that can be, but all the info is stamped right on the car so I guess I have to believe thats what its got. but even so...back to the turbo (my main question) what do I need and need to do to get one on my car? And what would be the best one to put on?

·
Registered
582 Posts
cav-illac_2.2 said:
ok well thanks for that bit of info. Ill reconsider the bore now. but this 87 cav i took the motor out of it IS a 2.2 I can garuantee it. says 2.2 right under the hood and the door says "'87" its the same exact engine as my car. Dont ask how that can be, but all the info is stamped right on the car so I guess I have to believe thats what its got. but even so...back to the turbo (my main question) what do I need and need to do to get one on my car? And what would be the best one to put on?
No, sorry, unless it's been replaced with a later model bottom end, it's a 2L. The only OHV I4 Cavaliers that have ever said ANYTHING under the hood regarding displacement, other than the emissions tag, is a 98+ 2200.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, sorry, unless it's been replaced with a later model bottom end, it's a 2L. The only OHV I4 Cavaliers that have ever said ANYTHING under the hood regarding displacement, other than the emissions tag, is a 98+ 2200.[/quote]

Uhhhh...no Thats how I initially found out i had a 2.2 in my 93 cavalier. it was written under the hood. to the left of the latch about an inch and a half off the edge. the Z24's did not have anything written on their fiberglass hoods, but the RS has a sticker on the steel hood that shows displacement serial numbers and some other things. And the 87 had a very similar sticker with "2.2L I4" and some other numbers. If you dont believe me then thats fine. i have the material proof, and it wasnt a part of my initial question so its no big deal.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Buy the header off the cavalier connection thing and then get your own generic parts. You'll probably save about $500, maybe more. A turbo system is not really that expensive. It's the labor that kills you, both on the installation and the parts manufacturing. The turbine can be had from Garrett for about $150. That $1000 intercooler is a load of crap. All it is is an air-to-air radiator. You can find one used for $20 in working condition. Piping and brackets are simple and you just need some tubing and you're in business. Just don't forget the little things like fuel pressure and octane and don't raise compression or put a real aggressive cam in.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The trick to an intercooler is to try to match up the horsepower numbers. I know that the '96 900 made 185hp, so it may work. You can get a Supra intercooler (300hp) on ebay for fairly cheap, but that's only if your boost is crazy and you want to spend more money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.