J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read something in the "Engine fitting" post about quad 4 engines...

I've never heard about this type of engine. What the hell is it?

The only types of engines I've heard of are inline, horizontally-opposed (boxer), and V's.

...and while I'm on the topic... how does a 5-cylinder engine work?

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
The quad 4 is just a fancy name for the engine. Its just a regular inline 4

There are also some "W" engines...pistons arranged in a W shape

·
Registered
175 Posts
The same way an in-line 4/6/8 does, except the firing order is 1-2-3-4-5 on an engine that has its cylinders numbered 1/2/3/4/5. Where as an inline six usually has a firing order of 1-3-4-6-2-5. 5-Bangers where popular in Saabs and some volvos in the late 80's and can still be found in some volvos. I've heard that chevy will be making a turbo inline-5 variant based on its new 4.2 straight six in the envoy /trailblazer.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I believe the 4 in Quad 4 represents the number of valves per cylinder. Correct me if Im wrong, but I believe this was GMs first attempt at any 4 valve per cylinder engine, as well as thier first attempt at a 16VDOHC engine. I believe the second engine GM made using four valve per cylinder technology was the L-S6?(im not sure if that was its designation or not) used in the legendary ZR-1 corvettes of the early 90's, followed by the DOHC 3.4 in Z-34 Luminas, followed by the Northstar in caddys, etc, etc

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I did some reserch on the quad for, because I was considering buying a 1991 Beretta GTZ. That car has the Quad 4 High Output. This engine produces around 180 hp. and with it, the car really moves.
(around 7.5sec 0-60) THey have 4 valves per cyliner, so that more air can get in and can get out= more compression=more power.
I really love the sound of that 4banger, only problem is because it has high compression and 180hp for a 4cyl. (A hell of a lot for a 91)the headgasket will have to be replaced periodically.
Im fairly certain that this info is accurate and will hopefully help you.

-John

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, thanks for your help, everyone.
Except you, Moon

Now I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how a 'W' engine would work.
Would that mean that it has 2 crankshafts, or what? (probably not)

Oh yeah, I forgot about rotary engines, too. How could I forget those? What I wouldn't give for a TT RX7....

--edit--

For some reason when I was thinking of 5-cylinder engines, I forgot about inline cylinder arrangement... d'oh! I was trying to imagine how 5 cylinders would work in a V formation...

[ This Message was edited by: king93bird on 2001-10-19 09:36 ]

·
Registered
175 Posts
the "w" engines (just introduced by VW) is more like a "V" engine with another two bank of cylinder in between the other two. A rotory engine is best described as a triangle that spins around in a big "basketball" shaped "cylinder"(even though its not a cylinder, its more like a sphere).

·
Registered
599 Posts
I had a 5 Cyl Audi 5000S, That was one of the hardest cars I have ever had to work on.I think VW made the motor not sure don't care,that car is ancient history.

isaacs93cavi

·
Registered
34 Posts
Correct me if i am wrong, but didn't VW put a V-5 in a Golf? I could have sworn that i saw in GT2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.