J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
As in the engine in the 3rd gen Z's?
Nobody has done this to my knowlege, because it is kinda pointless to swap out your V6 for a 4 banger, even if it does make 10 more HP (while making 30 ft/lb less torque)

·
Registered
202 Posts
GM put the quad 4 in a lot of diffrent cars, Grand am, beretta etc. and im not sure why you would want one of those. I rebuilt one at school (SAIT) because the first class did something wrong, it didn't seem to hav eeven close the power of the Z.

good luck.
Jimmy

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason I asked is because it is you can modify and milk more power out of a Quad 4 than you can out of our aged 3.1s.
Anyone pick up the newest issue of "Sport Compact Car" magazine? Curtis Walker's Turbo Z24 was in it. He ran a low 13 in the 1/4 mile strip, the fasted 2nd gen cav at J-Bash. However, their were 3rd gen Quad 4s that ran tens.
Don't get me wrong, I love my 3.1, but If I want to get serious power without spending $8,000. I'll have to go with a Quad 4.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Um, there is no such thing as a Cavalier GFX. That trading card thing does not portray a production cav. It is probably bogus, or it was a concept never produced.

As for walker only running low 13's, that car is capable of so much more. He was running less than half the amount of boost on that car as the engine can take when he ran those times at the bash.

There are several threads on this board regarding the HO quad 4 that was in the Beretta GTZ's. Quite a bit of power, not so much reliability. You can get much more RELIABLE power out of the 3.1 than you can with the 4. It is going to cost you a hell of a lot of money to get one of those engines in your car, and if you are going to go through all that work for a swap, why not drop in a 3.4, or a supercharged 3.8!?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
As far as I know, the only problem with the Quad4's were the headgaskets.
On beretta.net, GTZ owners have told me that after replacing the Stock headgasket with a better one, they have not had any problems with it.

-John

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Yeah, the major HO Quad 4 problem was the Head Gasket.

Curtis ran a 13.81 @ 98mph at the bash. That was at only 8 PSI boost. If I remember correctly, he says he has had the boost up to over 20 PSI. He was having problems blowing CV joints with that much power though.

What 3rd gen is/was running 10's!? As far as I know, there are no 3rd gens running that quick. If there is one, I doubt it is for under your $8000 mark.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First off, I'm not bashing the 3.1, I love my engine.
I added some stuff up price wise. To rebuild a Quad 4 with new camshaft, forged pistons, forged crankshaft, and forged connecting rods will cost me about $1000.
A turbo kit will be about $3000. Giggle gas will be about $650 (for the venom kit).
Keep in mind these prices do not include any labor charges. I will be doing all the work myself after I get about a year of school done at northwestern.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.