J-Body Automobiles Forum banner

Question about engine

225 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  prophecy127 
#1 ·
I am getting a new 3.1 from GM soon, ..I am wondering what main components should I replace along with the engine. Alternator, Waterpump...ect? Thanks...

#2 ·
if all the parts are in decent working order then why spend money you dont have to? other than the mounts i wouldnt replace anything

#3 ·
well if you can replace everything. If not I would definatly replace anything that's a Total PITA to do once the engine is in. (waterpump) your Alt is a real easy fix should that go south. I'm assuming with the new motor all your seals and gaskets will be new. So you shouldn't have to worry about those. But maybe some new sensors. especailly the lower end ones.

#4 ·
soup said:
if all the parts are in decent working order then why spend money you dont have to? other than the mounts i wouldnt replace anything
So I don't have to worry about it down the line. Simple. I plan on having this car for quite a while, which is why I bought the paintjob.

Jake: Yeah, it comes with all new gaskets and all moving parts are completely new, they told me the whole engine, actually, is brand new...not sure if that's right. Either way, oil pan and oil pump (minus the screen) and most other parts are replaced. I just got a new radiator today, and alternator, waterpump (with 160 thermostat), Ac Condensor, mounts, and sensors I think im gonna get.

Also, I am definatley going to have to clean my intake manifold and throttle body. Do you, or anybody, have any good tips with cleaning them out?...I want nothing bad going into this engine. (definatley taking the CAI off, putting stock box back on)

Thanks

#5 ·
jakerooni said:
well if you can replace everything. If not I would definatly replace anything that's a Total PITA to do once the engine is in. (waterpump) your Alt is a real easy fix should that go south. I'm assuming with the new motor all your seals and gaskets will be new. So you shouldn't have to worry about those. But maybe some new sensors. especailly the lower end ones.
I have to agree with Jake on this one. I swapped an engine in my car a couple of years back, and of course had probs with stuff that would have been waaaay easier to fix if the engine was out. Plus, with a new paintjob and a new engine, I would want everything else to be perfect. Sounds like you will do that anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.