J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's been posted a thousand times, but I did do a search for what I wanted to know, and couldn't find a answer, so my question is how much total did you spend on your exhaust? I'm wanting mine to be 2.5 inch or bigger from the manifold all the way to the muffler, and I just need a rough estimate on the cost of the exhaust! I know it varies from place to place, I just need an idea of the cost!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Actually the stock down pipe is not very restrictive, its the "cat-back" pipe that is bad. If you kept the stock 2.25" down pipe and went 2.5" "cat back" it would work out pretty good. The 2.25" would promote exhaust velocity ( helping it to move out of the engine quicker ) and the 2.5" would help flow the rest of the way through all the bends it has to go through IMO. I haven't heard of anything other than the "cat back" systems, but thats not to say they don't exist.

·
Registered
914 Posts
stock pipe size is 2 inch. make ur own exhaust. just get a straight piece of 2.25 inch pipe and measure from the bottom of the downpipe to the cat and cut the pipe then have it welded on. new cat. then a custom 2.25 inch pipe from ur local muffler shop. should turn out nice.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have 2.5 inch from manifold to muffler but I don't remember what the exactly price was, i'll get back to you this evening.

Shawn

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
The previous owner of my car had 2.25 front to back and a high flow cat and magnaflow muffler with tips installed and cost him around 750 or so CDN

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
There are two many variables when pricing out exhaust systems, such as brand of muffler, cat, piping, etc, Type of piping, size, material, etc, and many other things. I had mine done for around $800 that included 2 1/4" mandrel bent piping from the exhaust manifold back including high flow cat and Stainless Steel series dual square tip magnaflow muffler (the best sounding on our 60 degree in my opinion)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
slimshady_69_4life said:
stock pipe size is 2 inch. make ur own exhaust. just get a straight piece of 2.25 inch pipe and measure from the bottom of the downpipe to the cat and cut the pipe then have it welded on. new cat. then a custom 2.25 inch pipe from ur local muffler shop. should turn out nice.
1988 to 1990 the stock exhaust was 2.25". Don't believe me? Ask any parts store.
I know mine is 2.25" :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.