J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im planning on getting a ractive muffler, but i've been told that there really loud would a resonator make it quieter or louder, what is the purpose of one of these, do they clamp right on to the exahust pipe before the muffler? thank you for your time and your response (if u got one)

·
Registered
362 Posts
The only car I ever had with resonators was a Jaguar. (It had dual exhaust with 2 mufflers, 2 resonators, 2 exhaust tips. It cost $800 to replace the exhaust system and that was years ago.) In that system the resonators came after the muffler. On our cars you can control the sound to some degree with an exhaust tip. They even make exhaust tips that are sound adjustable. Type in exhaust tip on ebay and you will see all different kinds. I don't know about Ractive, but most companies make mufflers in different degrees of sound. For instance a Flowmaster 50 series is quieter than a 40 series.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
i have a resonator on my car. i've got a straight thru muffler like your going to buy and i'm glad i got a resonator put in. it made the tone really deep, with no rasp. it also quieted the exhaust down a little bit. I recoment that you find a perforated resonator rather than a louvered resonator like i have :evil: . i bought a dynomax resonator(glasspack) but the shop said it wouldn't fit and they only had louvered resonators. grrrr.

·
Registered
13,406 Posts
i'm gettin a new muffler for my car, i'm gettin rid of the cat cuz it rattles for sum reason. would my car soudnd not bad with a glass pack(like those cherry bomb) and then a flowmaster 40 series?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.