J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the forum and done some diagnostics on this, and can't yet figure it out. My symptoms are:

1)car will almost always start.
2)runs from 10-45 seconds then starts surging and will die out(500RPM surges)
3)Almost always dies going into reverse, but you can usually get it into drive without dieing for a little while.
4)if you run the rpm's up to get it in gear and get it going, it will surge up high at random, and sometimes just cut out when it is going good, no surge just dead.
5)last time I moved it to the garage by riding the gas and brake so the surges wouldn't kill it it smelled very badly of gas and other...oilish, couldn't even identify it.
6)Occasional backfires when acting up at high rpms
7)if you restart it enough, eventually it won't start for 15 minutes or so

What I have thought of so far is
1)I redid the grounds to help with electrical issues
2)Possibly Computer?
3)Possibly fuel injectors? Don't have an oscilliscope to watch the input wires...
4)Fuel pressure is ok when the car is running, holds 43psi at the diagnostic port.
5)Map was recently replaced.

Any ideas on what to check or where to start? Thanks alot in advance for any input.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
unhook the battery for 10-15mins, and then do an idle relearn which can be found in the "how to" section.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have done that several times now. Thanks,

I have also now tried one other kind of informal test that I wouldn't normally do, but I'm getting desperate. I was able to keep it running at an idle when it started surging by feeding it little shots of starting fluid, and it was rough, but didn't die until I quit giving it fuel.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to bring up a partially dead post, but I finally got the z fixed and am still in disbelief at the problem. I was originally on the right track with the ground and then the computer, but off line on why they were the problem. All of my problems boiled down to a loose shift linkage bolt, allowing enough movement to cause problems with the computer wires that are routed right through that area. I can't believe the Z was down for a week and a half for a loose bolt.... I'm still agrivated at that, but between work and classes just didn't have time to track it down.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
All of my problems boiled down to a loose shift linkage bolt, allowing enough movement to cause problems with the computer wires that are routed right through that area.
Hmm? Thats interesting. That just might be my issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.