J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a few weeks ago that my steering wheel would start vibrating while drving about 90 km/h and over. I went to have my wheels balanced and the problem went away for a while, but now, only weeks later, it`s doign it again damnit! Is it possible they got unbalanced that fast of could the problem be something else?? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Two other probable reasons for this : your ball joints up front are going bad, or the support for the half shaft that is bolted to the engine is starting to rip off....

Trust me.. you do not want this to happen.. happenned to my last friday.. real bad shaking!!!

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well It's spring and I have my pro design wheels back on my car, but they still shake the steering wheel. I had all 4 of them balanced the other day, and the guy got them all a perfect balance of 0.0. Like before, I still get a shaking steering wheel at speeds of 90+ km/h. I don't have a bent wheel because they guy was able to balance them perfectly. I'm 100% sure that this shaking is coming from the wheels and not an axel shaft or anything like that, because I had the stock ones on last week and it was fine.

I don't know much about wheels and tires so I'm hoping someone can help me out here. If the wheels physically fit on my car, does that mean they're automatically the right offset and bolt pattern? If they're not, could this be the source of the problem? Another thing I notice is that I can hear my tires, like tires on a big 4WD going by at highway speeds. The tires I had on my stock rims never made a sound like that. Any ideas?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would have the tires checked to see if the treads are separating. I had this happen on 2 pairs of tires - one front pair and one rear pair. I was told that if the treads separate while you are driving there could be major damage done to your car and maybe even you. You can check this by running your hand over the treads. If there is a buldge, you found the problem.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tires are almost new and the treads look pretty stuck to the tires. Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think that's the problem. What else could it be? moonface, anybody?

·
Registered
679 Posts
<COLOR color="green">alcoholism, nervous twitch, it could be a lot of things. maybe its just the guns.....</COLOR>

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i_eat_rice said:
<COLOR color="green">alcoholism, nervous twitch, it could be a lot of things. maybe its just the guns.....</COLOR>
Interesting but I don't think it's that. I didn't have this problem with my stock wheels so I know I'm not imagining things. :eek: I tried rotating them today to see if just the two front ones were messed up but It's the same both ways. Here's the deal...

-all four are perfectly balanced
-none of them are bent
-the shaking is coming from the wheels and not something in the suspension, 100% sure of that
-shaking occurs at higher speeds but not all the time, sometimes it shakes on smooth road, others it doesn't

All this leads me to believe that the offset of the wheels is wrong for the car. Anybody know if that would cause all the shaking?

·
Registered
679 Posts
<COLOR color="green">well, i tried to help. everytime i have a problem i blame it on beer. usually i'm right! but other than that, not sure if the offset would do that. guess i'm pretty worthless.....</COLOR>

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I finally found the problem, but I"ll only know for sure next tuesday. The guy at Canadian Tire told me it was probably because there's only balancing weights on the inside of the wheel, causing shaking at highway speeds. I'm going to Coast Tire next week, where they have special weights that they stick anywhere in the wheel with some type of adhesive. Hopefully that'll fix the problem :roll: .

·
Registered
679 Posts
<COLOR color="green">hope it works, but if not, see about the alcohol.........</COLOR>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts