J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1988 Z24 Coupe 5spd, 1988 Wagon w/94 Auto Drivetrain, 1992 Z24 Convertible Auto, 1994 Z24 Coupe 5spd
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a small coil spring compressor that can be used to compress the rear springs for removal and installation? I've looked around and haven't seen anything I think would work really well. I have seen what is in the picture below. These may work to compress the springs enough for safer removal and install, but I'd likely have to get longer bolts. But maybe not, as just clamping them over to rounds of the spring should be enough to do.

Anyway, if you know of something better, please post a link or the name of them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1988 Z24 Coupe 5spd, 1988 Wagon w/94 Auto Drivetrain, 1992 Z24 Convertible Auto, 1994 Z24 Coupe 5spd
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I ordered two pair of the ones pictured above, only to see that there is something probably better (maybe easier to use).

I may get a set of these too, but I'll try the others first.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Mine are similar to them. They work good enough. Less sketchy than using large zip ties like the first time

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I've been able to get by without using those.

1. Jack up the rear of the car, put it on stands.
2. Use floor jack on the rear axle to lift it up and take the tension off the shocks.
3. Unbolt the bottom shock bolt and remove the bolt. Do both shocks.
4. Slowly let down the floor jack.

This lets the axle drop down lower than usual so you can just yank the springs out. You just have to keep an eye on the rubber brake lines to be sure they don't stretch too much, but I don't recall that ever being a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wite89z24 said:
Thanks, those look like might work, as far as size goes. I do see that a couple sets broke with reviewers and others show/said they don't fit their springs very well.

rocketeer2001 said:
I've been able to get by without using those.

1. Jack up the rear of the car, put it on stands.
2. Use floor jack on the rear axle to lift it up and take the tension off the shocks.
3. Unbolt the bottom shock bolt and remove the bolt. Do both shocks.
4. Slowly let down the floor jack.

This lets the axle drop down lower than usual so you can just yank the springs out. You just have to keep an eye on the rubber brake lines to be sure they don't stretch too much, but I don't recall that ever being a problem.
I've done that before and it works, with some springs. However, with really high load rate (stiff) springs, the cars will lift off the jack stands before the axle gets high enough to put the bolt in the dampers. I have this problem with my 92 and my wagon. I've got to put weight in the back of them to get the axle up enough.

I've a feeling the ones I bought will work, just take a bit to compress the spring, having to turn the 4 nuts. When they come, I'll give them a try on an old spring and post the results. The U-bolt type might be easier, less cumbersome, but still have to turn the 4 nuts per spring. I think I'd get along better with them, wish I'd seen them before buying the other ones.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
That was just the first set I found. Mine are powerfist from princess auto... its Canadian stuff.

There are a few similar types out there

1 - 7 of 7 Posts