J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '88 Z24 vert - which only has lap belts in the rear. I'm getting a set of seat belts from an '89 - which had the shoulder straps in the rear as well. The reason I'm getting them is that the plastic housing on one of the release buttons has broken and is being held together with a ziptie - which probably isn't a safe thing! Apparently that plastic housing around the button is more than cosmetic -- if that housing isn't attached, the button doesn't engage and the belt doesn't click in place. So I'm getting the new belts and was planning on just using that short piece that attaches to the floor and has the button on it.

Since I'm getting the whole belt though, it'd be nice to be have shoulder belts back there. Can I mod my '88 for the shoulder belts? Is there an attachment point for that top anchor point I can use, or is it really lap belt only back there?

Here's my rear with the seats removed. I really don't see a strengthened top attachment point up there, so I'm assuming the answer is "No - not without a lot more modification"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1988 Z24 Coupe 5spd, 1988 Wagon w/94 Auto Drivetrain, 1992 Z24 Convertible Auto, 1994 Z24 Coupe 5spd
2,678 Posts
I had a look in my parts book. It didn't have anything on the 82-89 rear belts (that I found) :-?

However, it shows the 90 and the 91 passive rear belts. I'm sure you could install them on a 88, just make sure you get everything for them, including any added brackets or mounting points. There may or may not have been some changes to the sides of the seat, either the back, the seat of both for clearance, but I have no idea really. Just check everything out real good on the donor car.

Good luck :)

Here are a couple pictures of how the passive system mounts. Sorry I can't get any better then these though.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.