J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was changing my spark plugs today and everything went fine until the last two on the back closest to the drivers side. My hand kept slipping and hitting various parts of the motor. Anyone have any tricks of the trade for replacing those two pesky plugs???

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Use a piece of vacuum hose on the tips of the spark plug. I try to do that when I change the spark plugs on my car. This is great for people who have short arms like myself.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
extensions and those pivoting socket thingny's...ive even heard of some ppl taking off the tower brace.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
i used a 5/8 sparkplug socket and a small extension and i got them loose with a ratchet then i took the ratchet off put the new plug in the socket and turned the extension and socket with my fingers till it threaded in and then i connected the ratchet again and tightened it up, took me about 25 min to do all 3, BTW it was an 88z, i didnt find it hard at all, try a 96 caravan, half the engines under the dash board

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
:lol: I just use a piviting 5/8 sparkplug socket and a 6" extention. I've actually found that it's easier to change the back 3 on my 91 Z with the tower brace than it was with my old 89 Z. But i also have small arms so that kinda helps. My record is 15 minutes to change all 6 and i did that the day before the Bash (last thursday).

If you want a real challenge try changing the plugs on my T/A. i can only use a socket on the front 2, all the others i have to use a "custom" bent 5/8 box end. try fishing pugs out between a set of big ass hedders, or try changing a set on a 91 Camaro (V8). you have to either go through the wheel wells or from under the car :eek: now that just plain sucks :-?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.