J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok as the subject says my rear brakes a locking, i changed the wheel cylinders and the drums recently and it still does it. It mostly locks up when i am going slow like in a parking lot and i want to stop, and usually only one wheel locks, not always the same one but one if the back wheels lock. Therefore i get absolutly no "nosedive" when i slam on the brakes i get the complete opposite, the back end sinks down. This is extremely annoying and also very unsafe as my braking ability is greatly reduced. How the hell do i fix this???

Dave

·
Premium Member
17,284 Posts
Did you replace all of the drum brake hardware when you changed the wheel cylinder out??

Are the rear brakes adjusted properly. Put the rear of the car up on jackstands. With the wheels on, rotate them as if the car was moving forward. They should spin freely with no resistance. Now spin the wheel in the opposite direction, they should spin about 2 revolutions and then stop.

Brad

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok i think the rear might be adjusted a little tight but that is because my brake pedal has to move in a lot before it actually does anything. I have to push it in half way before anythign happens and then when i get half way the pedal is VERY sencitive, could it be the front that is too loose???

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
My rear wheels were just doing this. It was fixed by replacing the brakes with new ones. They were worn down real bad and the drum was worn so smooth it looked like a mirror (not a good thing). After all the new stuff was put on they stopped grabbing, brake better, and my ebrake no longer need to be pulled almost to it's limit before it catches.

·
Premium Member
17,284 Posts
If the pedal goes halfway with no brakes your problem is probably somewhere in the lines or the master cylinder. Are you sure that all of the air is out of the brake lines?? Is the master cylinder full?

Brad

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Take your shoes out, and chamfer the ends of the shoe. Whats happening is only the end of the shoe is catching the drum, versus the shoe "resting" inside of the whole drum. So its putting too much pressure on one spot of the drum. If youve ever looked at one of your old shoes, you'd notice how the edges were already worn down from it breaking in on its own.

<- file down the edge
/
|
\
<- " " " "

Hope this made sense :)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok thanks i'll probably try that this weekend between the turkey and the homework, i hardly have any time anymore to look at my Z and all this shit's going wrong!! Why did i want to become and engineer??? :x :x

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.