J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your guys' opinions on these? I am considering getting one so I can start the Cav from my apartment window when I get up before work. Any conflicts or anything I should know about? Recommended brands?

· Super Moderator
20,058 Posts
You have a manual tranny, so I do not reccomend installing one or getting one installed, too many things to go wrong, and not unheard of either.

I know of a few people who have damaged their cars, other people cars and have been informed about deaths related to manual remote starters.

· Registered
1,504 Posts
i have had one for my car for almost 3 years now. they are great, if you have an automatic. i never have ice on my window in the winter and never have a hot car in the winter.

· Registered
41 Posts
i do happen to know peope with manual that have automatic start. Its not impossable to have done they just have to do more bypassing in order for you car to start without the cluch(which will cost you more). But i could see where you comming from with things going wrong.

· Premium Member
7,450 Posts
yea, disengaging the clutch safety switch, and making sure its in neutral as far as i know anyways, but not a good idea to install one on a manual anyways...

· Registered
769 Posts
As a side note most shops will not even install remote starters on manuals, this is to avoid any liability in the future. So unless your doing the install yourself you may not even be able to get it done.

· Registered
2,950 Posts
honestly my z was stick and i had a remote starter (i think it was called Auto Start) and it was really good cuz it had several safety features so that you couldnt start your car while its in gear. i would recommend that if your still interested :D

· Registered
1,368 Posts
I have an auto-start for a stick built into my car alarm. Big big big fan of it. Saftey features are made into the system (i.e.: must have e-brake on, and leave car while its still running. Then, if you trigger the alarm, or open the door, it will not allow the autostart until the sequence is done all over again. It's not a fool proof system, but it will prevent casual careless'ness.

The alarm I have is a compustar product (www.compustar.org)

feavs
www.feavs.com

· Registered
4,185 Posts
one of the guys at the import shop here said he has put them on stick shifts before using a mercury switch on the e-brake so that it will not start unless the brake is on. and bypassing the nuetral safty switch. like feavs said...not fool proof but pretty good.

i have a bulldog remote start and keyless entry on both the cav and the wifes van. very handy in the winter.

· Super Moderator
20,058 Posts
larphead said:
one of the guys at the import shop here said he has put them on stick shifts before using a mercury switch on the e-brake so that it will not start unless the brake is on. and bypassing the nuetral safty switch. like feavs said...not fool proof but pretty good.
That's an accident waiting to happen, especially if the car is parked on a hill. :roll:

This is why you need to be certified in Ontario to install remote starters and security systems.

Where I work, since I am the only one who installs remote starts and security systems, will not install a remote starter on any manual vehicle. Too much liability if something were to ever go wrong, and yes I do know about the manual specific remote starts, I still don't trust them.
I am one of those people who has a manual, and I miss my remote start, but would rather not have to deal with the hassles or legal side if anything were to go wrong.

· Registered
2,950 Posts
the_raven said:
larphead said:
That's an accident waiting to happen, especially if the car is parked on a hill. :roll:

This is why you need to be certified in Ontario to install remote starters and security systems.

Where I work, since I am the only one who installs remote starts and security systems, will not install a remote starter on any manual vehicle. Too much liability if something were to ever go wrong, and yes I do know about the manual specific remote starts, I still don't trust them.
I am one of those people who has a manual, and I miss my remote start, but would rather not have to deal with the hassles or legal side if anything were to go wrong.
whats so wrong, the ebrake is on??????

· Super Moderator
20,058 Posts
speedemon said:
the_raven said:
larphead said:

whats so wrong, the ebrake is on??????
Is it? or does the mercury switch think it's on? Park on a hill the right way, accidentally leave the e-brake off not realize this, start the car and see what happens. ;)

Besides I have started cars with the e-brake on and in gear (wasn't equipped with a nuetral safety switch or was not functioning properly) and actually had the car move.

· Super Moderator
20,058 Posts
zeroc_mk said:
I have a remote start on my 93 Z and it works perfectly fine. Just make sure that you pick up the one for manual transmissions, get it wired correctly and you will have no problems.
Yeah I've been told that before and seen them fail on manual vehicles.

Here's the scenario:

You park your car, it's warm, so you leave your windows down a little bit....
Now that Ex boyfriend that your girlfriend broke up with to go out with you, sees your car, and knows that you have a remote starter, he also knows you like to use it for the A/C (He may be stalking you, since he's so bitter), so he reaches in without opening the door, and just slides the car into gear, for revenge. Now you have no idea this happened, so you are going to leave where you are (might be your girlfirends place) so you remote start your car, and it runs into the house, another parked car, maybe your girlfriends dog, or brother.

This is not a completly fictional story, the part about revenge and placing the car in gear has happened, there have been many instances where property was damaged and people injured and sadly killed.

Is a manual remote starter worth the chance now?

· Registered
1,368 Posts
I agree with raven 110% about parking on a hill. I've never trusted my e-brake, as ontario's climate tends to be hard on the cables. If I'm going to park my car with only the e-brake engaged, I will make sure it's not on a hill, or even a shallow slope for that matter. This does limit my use of my auto start.

These alarms don't actually check to see if the e-brake engaged properly, they only check to see a voltage was sent somewhere (generally the e-brake light in your dash is tapped into).

feavs
www.feavs.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.