J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. everyone wants their car to look good inside and/or sporty, but interior design and crafting at tuning shops costs a lot of hard earned cash!? Well, i figure why not do it yourself and how could it be done cheap?
So i thought i'd share, how i am doing it.
First of all, the goal was luxry car (Bentley, Rolls Royce, S-Class Mercedes and so forth) look and feel, all details are not plasic but covered with leather or the sorts, coloring is tastly chosen etc etc.. Well, i decided to go that way and try it, i hate simply painting plastic because it just doesn't cut it, it always smells like crap when standing in sun, it has that cheap Korean finish to it that is plain ugly and even tho it looks different, it still never makes you really satisfied.
So, in a fiew easy steps, i figured one way to get what i want - luxury feel in a sporty but normal and quite a cheap car.

First of all what do you need?
* Glue (i used universal glue that turns rubber-like when dry, used household, applicable on most surfaces known to man)
* Cloth of your choice (mine is chamois leather, color choice Burgundy red/Cream Coffee-brown)
* Sharp scissors
* Sanding paper
* Breathing mask (advisable), the glue vapours might give you a headache
* free time

PS! When covering, hands must be clean of dirt/dust especially with lighter fabrics, you'll instantly smear 'em :roll:

How to do it?!
----------------------------------------

STEP ONE:

Take your detail that you are about to cloth over and sand it evenly. The point is that the surface is then rigid and wont let the streched and glued cloth to re-strech back. PS! clean it off after sanding, dust won't let the glue stick on the detail!

STEP TWO:

Cut out a rough piece of the cloth that overlaps the detail you sanded making sure that if pulled over it, it will have enough to spare to reach the under side of the detail (You'll understand in a moment ;) )

STEP THREE:

Start from one end, cover the detail with glue no more than 10-15 inches at a time, nice and even but not too much, we don't want to soak it just enough for the cloth to grap on the detail. after that lay the cloth on and pulling outwards laterally (!!), away from the detail slightly, smooth it out gently with your hand and if you see some wrinkles, don't worry, before the glue is dry (mine dried partially in 30-60 seconds or so) you can use your fingers to pull the wrinkles out towards the edge of the detail.

PS! To do it up to 15 inces at a time is good because then after every glue-and-strech-in-place you do you can adjust the yet unglued part of the cloth later, to continue a smooth run, to get that perfect and clean curb without wrinkles.

STEP FOUR:

Once you got it over the edges leave a little extra and glue it also down, thus getting those nice round edges that mold nicely to the cars other surfaces.

STEP FIVE:

Let it all dry for a fiew minutes and keep an eye on it ocasionally so that the cloth on those more curvy areas won't strech back in to wrinkles (glue is not yet 100 % dry and might give up under stress. So if it does, correct the wrinkles pulling the out gently again and help keeping them in place by holdin it so.
PS! When finally dry, use a sharp tip knife and cut an "X" where the screw-holes are, thus preventing the ripping of the fabric when reassemling it in the car. Metal screws in twisting motion can overcome the strenght of the glue and ruin your hard work! :roll:

STEP SIX:

Basically you're done!! 8)
Now reassemble carefully to the car and marvel at the new and so much sweeter look :love:

TOTAL COST of new interior (Converted from local currency)
Cloth: 28 $
Glue: 12 $
---> at a shop, yhat would cost between 1000-1500 $ !!! I THINK i saved some money! :p

Bite my a**, expensive car tuners ! :moon: :lol:

------------------------------------------------

So i hope you liked it and find it useful :) I know i'm 100% happy with the outcome! :pimp:

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I believe paint looks alot better... and I dont believe that those cars have fabric on the pillars..

And wont you have fitment issues with interior pieces if you covered them with fabric?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now they should work ;)

i wouldn't post this, if i did it and it came out like crap :lol:
i actually really am totally happy over the outcome, looks and feels like the real deal :p

I started this yesterday so it's gonna take a fiew days to finish the whole car (seats will take longer, i can't sew unfortionately, yet) but as soon as completely done, i'll post pics of it assembled ;)

..and i think paint looks crap :D tried painting, just did not work for me ;)
i love this leathery feel to it a WAY lot more.

Assembly won't be a problem i think, you can't enjoy victory without defeating the enemy ;) :lol:

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Good job man. I started doing that on some of my interior pieces, I took it a step further though and added padding for a "soft touch" feel.

and yes, most "'luxury" vehicles have cloth wrapped pillars. only the cheap companys use plastic grained pillars that mimic cloth.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
nice job! i like the idea of a luxery j body lol think i may try that to except dark grey and black leather or something like that

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I was planning on doing this with black vinyl sometime, nice step by step. Maybe with some additions it could be made into a how-to for the site.

and I agree, it does add a nice look to the interior. you have to admit, our interiors were done kind of cheapily

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys :) Yeah, i actually didn't think that it's a first, i figured someone has surely done something like this before, but since i didn't find a how to or anything on it, i decided to share my expirience incase someone was puzzled in the way, how to do it. :)
I thought about the porylon soft insert padding but then decided that i don't wish to puff it up. i want to keep the original lines :) I did think about the stitching.. Next time (after i've mastered sewing, i'll do them all with stitching inserts and padding, mimic of Bentley. :)

And if you think it could be a how to, by all means, feel free to use it, i don't mind. I have a fiew panels yet to cover so if you thing more pics are needed i can take em :)

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
bezal said:
Do you have any ideas on how to cover the bolts holding the peices to the car?
my gauge pillar came with bolt caps. they have a "cross" that goes into the head of a flat phillips screw and is slightly oversized so it stays in there.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
The only problem with cloth pillars..

is my greasy hands

I already stained my bosses Town Car's pillar once (tan cloth). :roll: And I only drive that once a week for work.

I can only imagine the mess I'd make with mine. :lol:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, screws and such can be covered with a screw cap for instance.. but i just use chrome head screws, so they look nice on the new covering.
And the good side on this new style is that since cloth is over the plastic, some squeaks and other noises will cease to be and while in sun, light fabrics won't get the car so hot. But the down side is, as stated, it gets dirty and is visible much better.

On the news tho' just finished my gauge pod and dash, next is the center console and then i'll reassemble her. the rear end shall wait a little since my payday is yet to come and i ran out of money :lol:

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
I did the same thing with crushed velvet in my '89Z like 8 years ago.. pretty simple to do. 3M spray glue works very well.

in my case, to cover the screws i got regular little screw-through snap buttons like they use on the verts for the covers, then just longer screws. A friends Mom had a button machine so we made covers that were wrapped in black valvet that just snapped on over the screws.

I've got pics somewhere...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.