J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting some new rims after Christmas and I want to get some 17's but I don't want it to drag down my performance. So my question is do you guys think I should just get 16's or would 17's be alright

·
Registered
96 Posts
17's would be fine as long as they dont weight too much more. Be aware that with a bigger rim and thinner walled tire you will feel more of the road (bumps & shit).

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much do my stock wheels/hubcaps weigh? Moon this ones for you

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Uh...
I think the 4 center caps all together weight about 2 pounds
Not sure offhand about the wheels. Never weighed them when I had em off...

When you get larger wheels, keep in mind, even if they weigh the same, or less than stock, since they are larger, more of the weight will be towards the outside of the wheel, than with the smaller wheel. This makes it harder to get the wheel turning, resulting is a slight (depending on how large, heavy) reduction in acceleration. Idealy, you want as much of the weight as close to the center as possible

·
Registered
175 Posts
plus, if you live in an area with shitty-pot-hole-riddened-andtarmac-repaired roads, ( i.e. New England for me), with really lo-pros on a bigger rim, you may actually dent rims. Sounds hard to believe, but a friend with 18's on an Eclipse dented his rims like two times from some pretty minor bumps/potholes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts