J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys I have been checking out this site for awhile and I really find it most helpful.I have a 1993 Cavalier Z-24 convertible with a brand new black top. My car had always gotten compliments especially on how good the Red paint looks. Unfortunately I have 4-5 spots of rust forming along the wheel well and side molding.What can i expect to pay for a shop to fix this for me?My father is a Ford man and isnt sympathetic to my needs(He sucks at bodywork anyways)any info will help!!!

Larry

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I have the same problem with my 92 Z24. THe molding but the door trapped water, so it started to rust (that was before I bought it).

I spend about $50 in Primer, Paint, 2 dif. grades of sand paper (180 and 1000) body filler and a file. Im gonna try and get rid of the rust tommorow. Takes a while though. A body shop will want about $200 cnd. So I found it to be cheaper, ( b/c im cheap ) if it works,to pain it myself.

Hope this helps

John

[ This Message was edited by: johnyg on 2001-10-13 00:15 ]

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
I got the same problem with mine, Z24s are a bitch for rust above the molding on the doors. If i don't have something done soon, my car will be a rust whore.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same here i had rust on my wheel wells and under my side rear window. I used an awesome product, called POR 15, it is a rustihibitor u put it on let dry and sand down if needed then paint. And the best way to get rust out is a little spot sand blaster, but make sure that u get all the rust out or it will come back. But the por 15 has been great, bit on the expensive side though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Dad sucks at body work and I am too chicken to do it myself so I guess I'll bite the bullet and pay up.I noticed rust under my wheel well also!!!!

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
I agree parmentierbomb, it is better to have it professionaly done. It cost me $300 CDN to have a complete touch up job done. The 2 doors were repainted, and all the visible spots of rust on the car were removed. The paint is nicely blended in with the rest of the body, and the paint on the doors looks exactly like the rest of the car. You can't even tell there was rust on it at all

·
Registered
259 Posts
if they are just forming i found the turtle wax with the chalk stick thing to work fine. all you have to do is scrape the rust off down to the metal, color it in with the chalk then wax the car.. as long as you do a good job you can't even tell, but if you have larger rust spots than this definatly wouldn't work, but if just starting its not bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice, do you know if a place like Maaco or another national chain does a good job for a complete touch up. If it only costs me 300 bucks I will be a happy person!!

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
I had it done by a guy who lives fairy close to where I live, it's not a big company or anything like that. The $300 was for 2 painted doors and about 3 or 4 faily small spots of rust on the rest of the car. If you have rust at alot of different places, I guess it would cost more. I guess $300 was a pretty good deal for the job he did, but maybe that was because he'll be painting my whole car next year.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the info. The only rust I have is on the bottom of my doors , on the inside of the car. In the summer I am going to get it repainted. The same color though or course.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i have that stuff on the little creases of my cowls or whatever they are but i put pin stripes in them and it looks cool and you cant see it anymore!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts