J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I came up with an idea this morning to possibly cure an issue with aftermarket clutches. As we all know the stock J body clutch doesn't like 3400 swaps. My problem is how "Grabby" they are under normal driving conditions. I'm speaking about my limited driving experience in Sebs (91z24) car with a Spec Stage 2+. It grabs nice but I loved the clutch feel of the my old stock clutch (his car used to be mine prior to the 3400 swap). Finally here is my proposition, using a stock clutch (maybe flywheel) from a 3400 Camaro. They're cheap and hold up behing a 3.4L V6. Can anyone think of a reason why this wouldn't work (with some slight backyard engineering)?? Also the Stage 1 version of this clutch is rater at 430 FT/LBS of torque for those with modded motors....Discuss away...

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
First off, there is no such thing as a "3400 Camaro", it's a 3.4L, NOT a 3400.

It may not fit due to the pressure plate being thicker, if it is.

The bolt patterns are the same between FWD and RWD. The FWD clutch I had from my Skyhawk (which was actually from a 1990 Tempest), and my clutch from my Jimmy were identical, so there would be no gain to be had there.

You can't use the RWD Centerforce clutch in the FWD due to the weights that are installed on the clutch fingers, they would hit the inside of the bell housing and clutch fork on the FWD. This would be the best option if it would have worked.

I believe my Centerforce CF1 clutch that I put in my Jimmy had a thicker pressure plate than the stock clutch did, and would imagine that most aftermarket RWD clutches would be the same, to get the heavier springs in there. I believe there is a fitment issue with a FWD pressure plate hitting the inside of the bellhousing, EZ Clutch IIRC?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.