J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, im getting a completely new exhaust system on friday, just stock so i can pass inspection..now here is my question. will my engine run smoother, and have ALOT more power than it does(considering any 2.2 will blow away my 3.1) and will it stop the stall outs? when the engine is warm it stalls out when im coming to a stop, not all the time but enough to be a pain. it idles rough and i think its running WAY to rich still because i had it running for all of 2 min and when i shut it off all i smelled was gas like it had been dumped in the open. the current exhaust is broke right off the headers and is in shit condition, would this help it alot? or do i have another problem? im close to replacing coils but i dont think its them. maybe my MAP? i would hope not..but if it solves it then well. any help will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
well if your current exhaust is all hosed up and clogged when you get a new one it will allivate alot of your issues. The other thing is that if you have a clogged cat it's a pretty safe bet that your O2 sensor is shot as well. IN which it'll screw up the EGR which then in turns tells the puter that your running lean and then the puter in turn turn up the gas mixture :wink: Kinda see where I'm going with this huh???

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
jakerooni said:
well if your current exhaust is all hosed up and clogged when you get a new one it will allivate alot of your issues. The other thing is that if you have a clogged cat it's a pretty safe bet that your O2 sensor is shot as well. IN which it'll screw up the EGR which then in turns tells the puter that your running lean and then the puter in turn turn up the gas mixture :wink: Kinda see where I'm going with this huh???
yup, buy a new car :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
the new exhaust will help out a lot, I would go with a 2.25" piping to the muffler. a new cat will help and not having the huge ass hole behind the manifold will definatly do you some good, but you will need to replace the o2 sensore as stated above.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the o2 sensor was just replaced, and actually it made the car hold an idle. before i replaced it, it would stall out when it was warm. now my exhaust just smells like rich gas. i guess it will be fixed when the exhaust is fixed. one can only hope. Im not getting a new car. i just got this one and it only has 105k on it so in gm terms its just broken in.

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
well your gonn get that smell cause the cat isnt burning the excess fuel

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
nascar2496 said:
the o2 sensor was just replaced, and actually it made the car hold an idle. before i replaced it, it would stall out when it was warm. now my exhaust just smells like rich gas. i guess it will be fixed when the exhaust is fixed. one can only hope. Im not getting a new car. i just got this one and it only has 105k on it so in gm terms its just broken in.
Dosen't matter. It's shot again. IF you have a clogged Cat you can replace your O2 sensor everyday if you want. Their very piticuler like that.

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
yup just like jake said, when you change the cat your gonna have to replace the o2 sensor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.