J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anybody still visit this forum but anyway... After sitting on these parts for like 10 years, I finally got this done :lol:

I used Saturn SC calipers and pads with SRT4 rotors, MrQuick caliper brackets and MrQuick ebrake brackets but I had to modify those heavily. His brackets are for 3rd gen j-body and on 2nd gen, the e-brake cables would end up right into the coil springs and most likely would have smashed the shock on big bumps, not good. I cut the brackets shorter and made it in an S shape (see picture) so that it clears the shocks and routed the cable outside the coil springs. I used e-brake cables part number that are in pingpong's rear swap thread which are a bit longer. I used a '91 Lumina master cylinder which has 4 wheels disc proportioning valve inside for proper pressure on all 4 wheels. Good thing also is that all wearable parts (caliper, pads, rotor) are all off the shelf parts. Only brackets are custom.

Brake pedal feels better than ever, brake performance seems much improved and e-brake works and feel exactly like stock, probably even a bit better.

Only issue is now my tires rub on the rear quarter lips on big bump now (even if I used the thinnest bracket available) but that can be fixed later, it's not too bad.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1988 Z24 Coupe 5spd, 1988 Wagon w/94 Auto Drivetrain, 1992 Z24 Convertible Auto, 1994 Z24 Coupe 5spd
2,640 Posts
Looks great and sounds like it was a very nice improvement. I wish I'd gotten everything to do at least one car back when people were selling them.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, pretty nice improvement, I'm pretty happy with them. The brackets might still be available, he was running a group buy this spring, worth a try emailing him if you're interested: sbeau1 (at) metrocast (dot) net

Pricing was:
5/8" thickness $160 plus shipping
3/8" thickness $180 plus shipping
e-brake brackets. ($20 with kit, $25 shipped in US, $40 shipped to Canada)

shipping for the kits is $12 US, $20 Canada

·
Registered
902 Posts
That looks absolutely fantastic! The e-brake cable routing was definitely the most difficult part in getting this swap to work properly. In fact, I believe your method is much better than mine. Which was just to cut down the factory bracket which significantly reduces the leverage the handle has on the brakes. Right now, it takes a lot of effort to engage the e-brake properly.

Since my cut down brackets sit much closer to the caliper arm, the cables I used fit nicely around the coil spring. I'm assuming yours sit further away from the spring.

How did you bend such heavy gauge steel for the bracket? Did you have to reinforce it in any way so it wouldn't bend back when tension is pulled?

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I started with just cutting the brackets as well but it didn't look right, I would have had to adjust the e-brake cable under the console (I think there is adjustment there ?) I believe to take up some of the slack but it didn't seems right. So that's when I though about bending the other set of brackets I had instead. It feels like stock to me, it doesn't need many clicks to lock up the wheels and it doesn't take much force either. The cables does sit pretty close to the coil springs, I wouldn't want them any shorter to be honest.

I just used a vice and vice grip with a 24mm wrench on the vice grip to give me leverage. My torch didn't want to cooperate either so I didn't even heat it up. It worked fine, I really don't think they need any extra support to stay where they are. I'm trying them like that anyway, if it looks like they went to bend back, I will weld some gussets to reinforce them. It's pretty heavy gauge steel already tho.

If you don't have the lumina master, you probably need that as well for a proper proportioning valve that will give right pressure for rear discs.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I'm glad you posted this. I wasn't aware of the other rear brake swap options, namely these Saturn parts. I recently just gathered the parts off a Dodge Neon and was going to do the swap this summer, so this post is well timed.

I see you mentioned the 91 Chevy Lumina Master, and elsewhere I had read that you should be using a 92 Pontiac Grand Prix Master, and upon looking up both of those vehicles I find that they are the same part number, so it looks like either will work! Numbers are #18013214 or 18029965.

I can only see a part of this in one of your pics, but how did you handle the brake lines from the caliper to the body? It looks like you run an SS line from the caliper and down along the axle, but then where? Did you use a hardline at any point or just used an adapter fitting to get the SS line directly into the body hardline? Got a pic of that?

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have any good pictures of the lines, but that stainless line just go to the stock hard line. I believe I bought the lines with the brackets. It's Mr. Quick on j-body.org that is selling them. I believe he said in a facebook j-body group not too long ago that he might do another run of brackets soon... you might wanna check that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts