J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seen this on the tailgate of a Ford half ton on the side of the road. which i thought was very ironic " I would rather push a FORD then drive a CHEV" how ironic that he was sitting on the side of the road as I was driving by in my Chev :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honestly in my experience I have seen more ford's then any other vehicle on the side of the road. its like a 10 to 1 ratio between the fords i have seen to the chevrolets

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
It's funny you say this.

Why does my daily driver

Seem to die every few weeks

While my project truck

Seems to be running totally fine (cough Ford)

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
whitelightning2 said:
Silly.. it's because your Ford hardly gets driven!

lol, my Trans Am hasn't broke down in over a year! oh wait, i've put 200 miles on it since January '06 :lol:
hardly driven? daily driven since August 3rd... 1500 miles already. :moon:

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I put a little over 75000 on my 2.8, now include the 190,xxx poorly maintained klms it already had.

The only breakdown's I experienced were cause by the poor maintenance of the previous owners so the mileage I racked up certainly didn't help it much... 2 majors and 6 minor in 4 years. I have replace all the defective and most of the old parts so the future is yet to be known. Also I now get it oil sprayed every year by someone as picky as I am.

Here is where I learned my lessons...

My father had a 1945 Pontiac retired that car in 1970 and bought a 1968 Olds Delmont, finally retired that car in 1991 bought a 1979 Ford LTD. Oh yea at the same time he had a 1951 International Pick up retired that truck in 79 when he bought his 76 ford F250 which I wrote off in 1989 (<SIZE size="75">other guy blew a stop sign in his brand new 1989 Z24, I t-boned him just behind the drivers door - kinda ironic that i drive a j now, no?</SIZE>) We got rid of the LTD when my dad passed away.

My uncle has been driving the same truck for close to 45 years... it's a Ford somethin'-er-other... just under 450,xxx total kilometers, 2nd engine, 3rd box, 2nd pass door, 4th windshield... DD for 30 of the 45. Towed a trailer cross Canada 3 times, Mexico twice and numerous times to northern Ontario and Quebec. Yea you know he's taken damn good care of it, been oil sprayin' it since year one.

That's got to say something for people that know how to maintain a vehicle.

Moral...

It's not what you got it's how and wether or not you maintain it.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I abuse the livin hell outa my cars old cavy 4 2.8's all blown to shit regular maintainance + !!! and 1 3400 intake gasgets and head gasgets pooped out!! My lil FORD 85 5.0ho 180 000 kms just loved 7000rpm and seen more abuse than any enj should ever see never properly maintained until i got it severly flooded at least once a week carb worn out sat motionless for i dunno how long put new holley 600 double pumper and abused it summore still runs strong gonna put it in a boat actually!! 351ho swap dammm whata motor abuse abuse abuse oops driveshaft broke upgrade drive shaft more abuse never let me down yet lol! BTW i like to leave the line at 3200 rpm whata rush caryin the front wheels a foot of the ground for 20 or 30 ft :evil:

·
Registered
649 Posts
I abuse the livin hell outa my cars old cavy 4 2.8's all blown to shit regular maintainance + !!! and 1 3400 intake gasgets and head gasgets pooped out!! My lil FORD 85 5.0ho 180 000 kms just loved 7000rpm and seen more abuse than any enj should ever see never properly maintained until i got it severly flooded at least once a week carb worn out sat motionless for i dunno how long put new holley 600 double pumper and abused it summore still runs strong gonna put it in a boat actually!! 351ho swap dammm whata motor abuse abuse abuse oops driveshaft broke upgrade drive shaft more abuse never let me down yet lol! BTW i like to leave the line at 3200 rpm whata rush caryin the front wheels a foot of the ground for 20 or 30 ft
Did mom not pack any punctuation in your lunch box today? :lol:

·
Banned
7,153 Posts
out of all the vehicles I've owned, my Chevy cars spent more time on the side of the road or in the shop than my Fords did. Both Ford and Chevy beat by FAR the number of times my Dodge has left me stranded (once in 4 years).

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
voiceless said:
I abuse the livin hell outa my cars old cavy 4 2.8's all blown to shit regular maintainance + !!! and 1 3400 intake gasgets and head gasgets pooped out!! My lil FORD 85 5.0ho 180 000 kms just loved 7000rpm and seen more abuse than any enj should ever see never properly maintained until i got it severly flooded at least once a week carb worn out sat motionless for i dunno how long put new holley 600 double pumper and abused it summore still runs strong gonna put it in a boat actually!! 351ho swap dammm whata motor abuse abuse abuse oops driveshaft broke upgrade drive shaft more abuse never let me down yet lol! BTW i like to leave the line at 3200 rpm whata rush caryin the front wheels a foot of the ground for 20 or 30 ft
Did mom not pack any punctuation in your lunch box today? :lol:
nope lol srry was very late just didn't pay enef attention, havent got more than 2-3 hours sleep per night in like 3 weeks either :-?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
all these storys kinda remind me of my grandpa, has a 71 chev. 1/2 ton pickup. 489xxx miles with a broken frame and still DD. only problem the truck has EVER had was the fule pump went out. and he has 5 fords. all sitting on blocks in the field because they all shit by the time they hit 200.xxx miles. well, besides mine. it only has 50.xxx origional miles. so yea lol.

G

·
We got an '82 F250, its rusted to hell, cab is barely on the frame(held by steering column), no bed on it, looks like it should be in a junk yard or crushed. Engine has 250K miles on it, it was used as a tow truck and snow plower not to mention other hard duty things. NEVER, and I mean never had a single out of the normal problem, basically oil changes and new items that need changing(plugs, wires etc). Its been sitting probably 8 years(4 years w/out a start while it was still in upstate NY). Went up there after them years, fired right up after fresh gas. No smoke after like 3 minutes, ran and sounded great. Still starts up now and drives when we want it too. Great thing is the rebuild of it is getting ready to take place.

I hold nothing against fords(or chevs), whole family has had Ford after Ford w/ no problems.

Simply put, its all how you take care of the vehicle. One of two fords(same model and year) can be treated pretty much the same, but the one not maintained is probably going to have something go wrong w/ it. Another thing I noticed was when talking to people who bitch and moan about their pos ford, chev, dodge or whatever always make me laugh, cause about 90% do not do anything to keep their vehicle in good working condition(skipping oil changes or waiting aaalllllonng time to have it done and things like that). I gotta say, my g/f toyota corrola('01) is something else, 130K+ miles and the last time it was maintance was so long ago that not even I can remember and its still going and no sign of something wrong. Oil is so used I would be surprised if a quart came out whenever she decides to do it. I would do it but I am sick of pooring(and I did mean pooring) money into her :lol:

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
my Z has yet to die after over 50k miles that i've had it, its been through hell(almost 190k miles)...my GTP hasn't left me stranded really, i mean i had to replace the trans, but that was my own fault(S/C'er whine is addicting)

whereas the dodge avenger my mom had was babied and decided it wanted to blow its motor and trans at the same time out of nowhere

and every ford my family has owned has either blew something, or caught on fire...so therefore im a GM man

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.