J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my shift select cable, and this post is a request for help/advice/tips from people who have done it. I have a 91Z with a Muncie 5sp. Pictures and/or step-by-step instructions would be great, since neither Chilton's nor Haynes documents this procedure. TIA.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
take the top plate off the center console, pop the cable off the shifter, pull out the clip that holds it onto the shifter assembly... pull back the carpet in front on the console, there will be a metal clip holding the shift cable grommet where it goes through the floor pan ... take out the two screws .. pull the grommet toward the inside of the car.. unbolt the cable lock down at the tranny and pull the cable through! pretty self explanitory stuff once you look at it.
good luck

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
I'm quite sure both the Haynes AND Chiltons manuals document the procdures for replacing the shifter cables., quite sure.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cavalierdude said:
it does in the Haynes---- chapter 7 part b
That section is for automatics only.

Haynes does describe cable removal, but doesn't give much detail other than was was given here. If it really is that simple, it should be a breeze. Thanks again.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:

The O'Reilly cable is wrong, so don't try it. The plastic casings near each end are the wrong sizes, so they don't fit in the clip/clamp areas and the cable binds up. Anyone have issues with the NAPA cable?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
89t said:
Update:

The O'Reilly cable is wrong, so don't try it. The plastic casings near each end are the wrong sizes, so they don't fit in the clip/clamp areas and the cable binds up. Anyone have issues with the NAPA cable?
i used the napa cable the shifter end fits pretty snug i sprayed it with wd40 and pressed it on with some pliers but it works

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.