J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I'm new to the list and I don't own a Z yet... Just wondering what I should look out for when buying...I have test drove a 1991 Z24 5 spd. and found that it was lacking in the performance dept. I was expecting the car to at least chirp in second gear...Do your stock 3.1L V6's squawk in second?

But, overall I really liked the car, it has 130 000 miles or 200 000 klicks. Is that too much for this car? Maybe it's past it's prime... It seems to be in good shape and a new paint too. The dudes asking 4 Grand Cnd ($2300 USD give or take...), but he'll negociate. If I do buy this car I will immediatly begin doing some mods to it (Who leaves cars stock nowadays?) Does this car react well to cheap mods (like the intake and exhaust and maybe a chip).

Thanks,
Mars

[ This Message was edited by: mars_man on 2001-10-16 11:44 ]

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Well "marsman", I bought a 92 Z24 about a week ago, it had 190'000 km on it ($4700 cnd), and a little rust on side of door, because water sat there for a while.
Now Ive taken the molding off, sanded it, put filler on it and primer, and im gonna paint it soon. Ill tell you the reasons why I bought a Z24.
Ive been looking for a car for over 3 months, and finally decided to buy this one because it is fairly fast, and not bad on gas either. THe parts are also cheap, and a newer 3.1L V6 engines can be picked up for about $800cnd.
Unlike the Luminas Z34, which I was considering because it is quite a bit faster than the z24 (has a 3.4L DOHC wiht 210hp/210pounds of torque) A used 3.4L is very costly, I think one guy told me about close to $3500, compared to the 3.1L V6,and its expensive to keep running ($800 timing chain every 50'000km)
I bought the Z24 also b/c the 91-94 models i personally consider one of the nicest looking cars GM has ever built, unlike the new Z24's, b/c they look too much like the stock Cavalier.

SO if you want a car that is descent on gas,looks cool, parts are cheap, easy to modify (although im not an expert in this area, cause I havent checked prices for engine mods 4 it yet) acceptably fast, and trust me, it will smoke most of the cars in my school. Also everyone always tells me how cool it looks, even when its parked beside a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. (its red, so it stands out)
You will probably want to buy a performace chip , cause theres an electronic gov on it, that wont let you get past 180km/h, even though according to my RPM gauge, it could probably do 210km/h easily.

Anyways, it all depends on what your looking for, ppersonally I would recommend buying it.

-John

PS: WHere in Canada do u LIve??????? (Im from Manitoba, Gladstone)

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, the Z seems like an alright car. I was also looking for maybe a 1990 Plymouth Laser Turbo or a 1990 Toyota Celica GTS...Those other cars will probably get me killed anyways so I guess I'll take a closer look at that Z24.

Oh, I am in Sudbury Ontario.

Later,

Marcel

·
Registered
129 Posts
now im gonna be the one that will leave a bit of doubt in ya..

personally yes the z24 is a fun first car. easy to drive, easy to work on (at least most of the time),and cheap.

but so far as modifying and such there isnt much you can do to it. if your going for looks yeah it looks kewl the scoops are wicked looking... but thats about it. there is no body-kits or anything for that matter to buy.. you would have to make it yourself.

if your wanting a car that you can modify the looks i wouldnt reccommend the car. really look at cars on the net and see what you like and dislike.

The engine is pretty kewl. real quick car off the line but horrible in the long run. i found 2nd and 3rd are its best gears and have alot of fun in corners with the car. modifying the engine takes cash and takes time/smarts to do.

the interior is probably the best part i think. its comfortable and roomy and many modifications can be done here. sound system wise its pretty good if you know a bit about dash work and trunk sound proofing. im almost done my mods for the interior... im trying to get the pics for it so i can put it on a web page that should be up by this weekend. ill post the page when its up.

find something you like before u lay down the cash for it. and look for a WHILE dont worry if that sells. z24's are common cars they come up all the time in different colours/styles/prices.
i cant wait to find my 427 RS/SS 87 camaro so i can sell this car heh.. but thats me i want a really wicked car thats gonna be fun and fast to the 1/4 mile.

i hope this helps ya

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
The engine is probably just in need to a tune up, and maybe a new clutch, because you should be able to easily chirp second, and possibly third if your lucky

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your advice guys.

OK, I did not get that Z24. I have tested out a couple other cars since and I like this 1990 Plymouth Laser Turbo (non-AWD). This thing really moved. The car has a 4 cylinder DOHC engine that produces 195 HP stock. Quite a bit more that the Z and I think that any stock Z24 would get killed by this thing, but I may be wrong. The Cav I test drove must have been a piece of shit cause it wouldn't even light up the tires in second. The laser light them up in third!
I really wanted a Cav,but maybe it's not the car for me. That Laser was quick.
Car shopping is not as easy as it looks!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
True, but the laster also has a turbo or supercharger on it, dont know which one, and once cars with Turbos or superchargers get over 10 years old, the repairs can add up pretty quickly.
10 years ago, they did not really make reliable high horsepower 4 cylinders, and I would be worried about parts availability. THe V6's are much more reliable and cheaper to replace. THere arent too many Lasers around, and parts will be quite expensive. Peronally I wouldnt buy a 4cyl that was over 5 years old, because they just arent reliable, and the V6's sound better too. Also, the V6's have a lot more torque than any 4 cyl.
3.1L has 140hp and 185 pounds of torque, compared to 99 Z24 4 cyl, which has 150 hp and about 140 pounds of torque.
The Laser also requires premium unleaded gas.
Like I said, it all depends on what you want. If you go to a Forum that is especially about the Laser, you can get more info on it than here.

-John
PS: Check out this page, it might be helpfull

<LINK_TEXT text="http://www.cars.com/carsapp/national/?s ... 0&x=6&y=14">http://www.cars.com/carsapp/national/?szc=45689&srv=review&act=search&mkid=39&mdid=116&yr=1990&x=6&y=14</LINK_TEXT>

and this one
<LINK_TEXT text="http://cartalk.cars.com/Survey/Results/ ... -1990.html">http://cartalk.cars.com/Survey/Results/Demographics/Comments/Plymouth/Laser-1990.html</LINK_TEXT>

[ This Message was edited by: johnyg on 2001-10-28 01:20 ]

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Plymouth Lazers suck. One of my friends has one with a 5 spd and i whooped his ass with my 3 speed auto. He says it can reach a top speed of about 160-170km/h so our 180 km/h Zs are faster than that shit.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Plymouth Lazers suck. One of my friends has one with a 5 spd and i whooped his ass with my 3 speed auto. He says it can reach a top speed of about 160-170km/h so our 180 km/h Zs are faster than that shit.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Yes, the non-tubo lasers suck, but the Laser turbo has 190hp, and would easily whoop any Z24 ass, no matter how good its modded. They are really fast cars, and can easily reach 200km/h. Only problem is that they arent reliable.Trust me, a Laser Turbo cant be beat a Z24 anyday.
1990 Plymouth Laser Turbo RS 0-60 time of 6.9sec. I really dont think you beat one of them with a stock Z24 which has a time of 8.4 sec. and thats a standart.
If you dont mind speding half you paycheck on a Laser Turbos repairs, there really isnt a better buy.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
All stock, the 99 4 cyl. stock produces 150hp, and 155 pounds of torque. New Z24 will beat a 3.1L, but I have never raced one, but with 185 pounds of torque with the 3.1L, it would take the 4Cyl off the line.

-John

PS: I dont like the new Z24 either, cause they look too much like the Regular Cav.
http://www.v6z24.com/pictures/users/johnyg/jz2441.jpg</URL>">

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Whereever u want the pic, type
img src="yourpicsadresshere"

add < to beginning of it and> to end of it

[ This Message was edited by: johnyg on 2001-10-29 08:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: johnyg on 2001-10-29 08:54 ]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts