J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The one thing I am looking for more info on is an underdrive pulley for the 2.4L. I havent found much info so far. has anyone any feedback about their installs? I would like to know how it affects the performance of the engine before I look to purchase. And if the results are worthwhile, does anyone know of a shop in Canada where I can buy from? Feedback would be appreciated.

I have only recently registered on this website, but I have been checking it out for years. I previously owned a '90 Z24 and a '94 sunbird, and though the interest in modifying those cars was there (especially the '90 Z24... nice ride), the wallet was a little light in those days.

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself somewhat. I look forward to replies, cheers...

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
My udp works great and I'm running a stock 3.1.

But to answer your question I believe there are udp kits available for the 2.4 and the performance gain is noticeable more-so if you drive stick, a worthy mod.

Just so you are aware the gain is rather minor (about 5 hp) and you will get used to it rather quickly... I still say it is a worthy mod.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
The 2.8/3.1/3400/3500 Underdrive pulleys help out a bit but provide nno dampening because these engines are internally balanced. The one for a 2.4 L is probably the Ebay knock off and won't do much for you, because I am sure those 4 cylinders aren't balanced and need a dampener.

But yet again I am not 100% on this but I see those pulleys on ebay all the time and I'm like...ehhhh..I'll pass.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
im pretty sure the 2.4 uses a dampened pulley and no one to my knowledge makes a dampened pully, i've heard of some people using a 2.3 HO crank pulley, i think its smaller not sure tho but that would be dampened, maybe look into that

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've got on Unorthodox Racing crank pulley on my 2.4 Its the same size diameter as the small h.o. pulley, but the weight difference is night and day. There's a lot of people who have put a lot of miles on 2.4s with undampened underdrive pulleys, so I don't worry about mine. I've got over 40k miles on Unorthodox pulley.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.