J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a high flow 3 in. catalytic converter for my z. is this too big? and how big should i go? i'm getting a dynomax exhaust, what's the best size tubing? and do you think mandrel bending is worth the money to get it done? i'm hoping to get around 3-400 horsies under the hood.

·
17,284 Posts
If you are planning to get that much power, you should get 3 inch exhaust. But, for the 3 inch tubing to be effective, you will need to make EVERYTHING 3 inch! Everything form the engine bach. Also, the manderal bending is a good thing.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
3-400 horses is quite optimistic. What are you planning on doing to then engine to get that kind of power? I would assume some kind of forced induction, but what else?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Too large a tube will hurt your torque, my friend had his GMC Jimmy 4.3L V6 High Output fixed up with a K&N generation 2 intake and custom exhaust, high flow cat, and twister muffler. It acclerates like mad on the street but my 2.2 does better at highway speeds. Whatever was done to it, slowed it down. Before the exhaust work it was faster.

·
Registered
67 Posts
300HP would be realistic, i'm planning on getting there after i finish working on my stang. i hate ford too. 400HP is pushing it without NOS tho, and i don't know if the engine could even handle that.

peace

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm definitely doing forced induction. i'm not sure if turbo or super would be better. i hear turbo would give more power. anybody know? and i'm gonna get everything possible for my engine. and balance it and port and polish the heads and all the other things i can do to it. money is not an object forever for speed. but what size exhaust would be the best for my cavy? and does anyone know of any company, other than gm, that carries engine stuff for the 60 degree 6?

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
If you are going to be doing that much work, then a 3" exhaust would actually be a good size. 3" is way to large for a mostly stock engine though, so anyone else reading this, do NOT get a 3" exhaust (2.25 - 2.5 MAX. 2.5 is really pushing it though) unless you are doing major work with upwards of 300 horses.

Check out http://www.mantapart.com
They have quite a few performance parts.
http://www.raceshop2000.com for forced induction

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sweet, thanks moon. i appreciate that. i found someone that will custom make a body kit for me. so i've got one designed and ready. i can't wait for the money! i'll let ya'll know how it goes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh yeah, and brad does anyone make headers for the 60 degree v6? i'm assuming that counts as part of from the engine and back. anyone know?

·
Registered
48 Posts
That Picture is so funny I had to bring my family in to look at it, they didn't stop laughing for 5 minutes! How the hell does it even work?

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
God damn! You could easily fit a human head in there..LOL funniest shit I ever seen!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.