J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1992 cavalier z-24 convertable. There is a rebuilt engine that has 25,00 miles on it in the car. My question is how come when i stomp on the gas i can not squeal the tires. but i can beat many cars in the quarter mile. the tranny seems fine. I am wondering if this is the way the car is made or if i may be able to do something to give it better take off....Thanks

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would assume that not squealing the tires would be a good thing. I'm going out today to buy new Dunlops, as it turns out. The noises are fun, but they cost too much when you bring your tires' life expectancy to 1/3 what it should be. I'll take better care of the Dunlops.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Unless you have some kind of tires that grip really good, there must be something wrong with your car. My engine has close to 215 000 kms on it, never rebuilt, no mods and it still has no trouble squealing the tires.

·
Registered
827 Posts
My motor is a major performance rebuild with about as many kilometers as yours now... These engines have to be opened up after a rebuild thats for sure.. 500km of normal should be put on before going full throttle.

Even after the break in, it too another 10,000km to get the engine actually settled. Then it had some balls.

I doubt this is your case, but it is a scenario.

Mev

1 - 5 of 5 Posts