J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK heres the problem i ran into. In april while doing my enigne swap we ran inot abit of an issue with the oil filter assembly. At the time my engine was supposedly a 3.1 , well we found out differant but ofcourse it was too late. While swapping out the engine we put in a tranny from a 93 z24, a 93 3.1 auto computer and wiring harness. But the oil pressure sending unit from the 2.8 doesnt match the one from the 3.1 (this is when we first realized the engine wasnt a 3.1). they are in differant locations and the oil filter mounting assembly is slightly dfifferant. God i hope im making sense....llol

well anyways the gasket that goes between the oil filter assembly and the block are differant from the 2.8 and the 3.1 (atleast on my car) and the engine is leaking oil from this spot. neither the 3.1 or the 2.8 gaskets fit right and both result in oil leakage. now if i replace the 3.1 filter assembly with that of the 2.8 then the sensor plugs wont match up and i would have to replace the wiring harness and the computer.(afaik) If thats the case i would have to convert to a vaccuum egr and dump the digital.

If i keep the 3.1 assembly then i will continue to leak oil.

what would be a way to fix this without giving myself a heart attack?

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Just bring her to my garage and well fix her up in no time.
Maybe u should do option 1 (2.8 stuff)

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so you got a garage then? You finally found one?

And i was hoping not to have to swap all that out, i was even thinkning about putting the 2.8 assembly back on and just cutting and splicing wires to get the sensore and sensor connector to work but i dont know if they have the same wiring

·
Registered
367 Posts
If its just a gasket seal issue why not use some blue RTV? That stuff works great. Just clean the surfaces good and let it cure overnight before starting the engine. Be careful not to get globs of RTV in the oil passages though.

If the leak is due to a damaged filter assembly then thats a different problem.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have checked this out many times and all i can see is that it is a gasket issue.

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was wondering if i could swap sending units with the 2.8 and just splice the wires together, saving me from having to rerun the wiring harness? is this possible?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.