J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so lets say a car is misfiring in all cylinders... and lets say the problem is caused by the clearance of the valves (they are too tight). how much harm would it do to drive a car say ole 1000 miles like that?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
girlracer said:
ok so lets say a car is misfiring in all cylinders... and lets say the problem is caused by the clearance of the valves (they are too tight). how much harm would it do to drive a car say ole 1000 miles like that?
have you made any mods that would change the clearance of your valves

·
Premium Member
10,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
extremez24racer said:
girlracer said:
have you made any mods that would change the clearance of your valves
no, i had the timing belt changed back in may, the book says the valves need to be checked at 84 months or 105K and well the car is a 99 and has 96K on it.

Had to order a valve cover gasket cause no one carries them in town. So mom is going to ask dad to help me on tues or wed.

if my brother would have done it this weekend like he said he would this wouldn't be a issue, just cutting things close for the bash.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
so how do you check if the valves are tight? ... still don't even know what that means.... :-?

·
Premium Member
10,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
barrok69 said:
so how do you check if the valves are tight? ... still don't even know what that means.... :-?
you got me, i don't know either.

i guess they have to have a certain kind of clearance. i have the specs for it.

its:
Intake: 0.006-0.007"
Exhaust: 0.007-0.008"

·
Premium Member
10,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
extremez24racer said:
i dont see the valves being to tight an issue bc i dont see all the valves screwing up all at once. if its misfiring in all cylinders id look into the ignition module
i know i need to check that too, had a voltmeter when i checked stuff on the z and now my brother has done something with it.

i'm not having any problems with the car other than the light being on and at idle the car seems to have an issue, on the highway its ok no problems at all unlike the z.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
girlracer said:
extremez24racer said:
i dont see the valves being to tight an issue bc i dont see all the valves screwing up all at once. if its misfiring in all cylinders id look into the ignition module
i know i need to check that too, had a voltmeter when i checked stuff on the z and now my brother has done something with it.

i'm not having any problems with the car other than the light being on and at idle the car seems to have an issue, on the highway its ok no problems at all unlike the z.
it almost sounds like a bogus code what kind of idling issues is it really bad or just a small miss. i know every thing seemed fine when i drove it

·
Premium Member
10,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
extremez24racer said:
girlracer said:
extremez24racer said:

it almost sounds like a bogus code what kind of idling issues is it really bad or just a small miss. i know every thing seemed fine when i drove it
yeah and i think it was doing it then too, because its always seemed a bit weird at idle when its gotten warm. its just never threw the code. so we'll see, my valve cover gasket will be here tuesday and dad is "suppose" to help me.

it just sucked cause I wanted to bring the z24 this year, and I know I can't trust it for the 1000 mile trip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.